Peppermint EO acceleratiion problem in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldflds

Reaction score
Each time I've used Peppermint essential oil it has accelerated and I've read similar elsewhere. Anyone else had a problem with it and if so is it better to use Spearmint instead? TIA

The bottle doesn't indicate the source however it's from a reputable company that specializes in essential oils so maybe there are other as yet unknown factors at work! Thanks for your input!

The bottle doesn't indicate the source however it's from a reputable company that specializes in essential oils so maybe there are other as yet unknown factors at work! Thanks for your input!

Details are important. What's the name of the company? By you at least telling us that, you might save another person's wallet.

Not always - just check all of mine (some bought retail and some wholesale) and not one of them states the country of origin.

May be available om the MSDS but I havent checked that!

I use peppermint in quite a few soaps. I have never had a problem at all. In fact, I use it in a peppermint and charcoal Galaxy soap which needs a long time to work with and it stays lovely and fluid. I buy my oils from a soap company in the UK if that's any help.

Here are some examples of how some Suppliers provide info about Essential Oils.

BRAMBLE BERRY (WA state) provides the basic info:

https://www.brambleberry.com/Peppermint-Essential-Oil-1st-Distill-P3828.aspx
PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL (1st distillation): This is an herbaceous, sweet smelling peppermint. It is less brisk smelling than the 2nd distillation and contains slightly less menthol. Warning: Causes a cooling effect in melt and pour, and lotions should not be used on mucous membranes or sensitive areas.

Distillation Method: Steam Distillation
Country of Origin: Yakima, WA USA
Part: Leaves
Botanical Name: Mentha Piperita
NOTE: This medium-flashpoint oil (159.8ºF) cannot ship via USPS regardless of the shipping method you choose at checkout.
I use CAMDEN GREY (Florida) for their excellent descriptions of EOs. Basic info is right up front. I don’t use them any more tho, due to shipping costs, FL to CO.

http://www.camdengrey.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=cf6162bc11cefb51a925c2994ee6aeaf&Screen=SRCH

SUN PURE BOTANICALS (New Mexico) on Ebay is my go-to source for EOs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peppermint-Essential-Oil-Pure-4-oz-Uncut-Amber-Glass-Bottle-/192124407263

They offer lotsa good information on each EO they sell but you have to scroll down a good bit to get to it. Good customer service. Quick shipping (adjusted to the lowest possible cost). Frequent sales.

What I like best is I can buy small quantities of the 6 Essential Oils for my Arthritis/Fibro lotion in 1-2 oz sizes (to offset the cost of 1 oz German Chamomile at $28!) to make 13 oz. of the blend. I just open the box, dump the EOs in an amber glass bottle, and I’m good to go. No need to measure -- huge convenience / time saver! I’m sucha lazy daisy. LOL

Peppermint Essential Oil Pure 4 oz Uncut Amber Glass Bottle

Product: 100% pure uncut peppermint essential oil
Latin Name: Mentha Arvensis
Country of Origin: India
Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
Parts Used: Leaves

Description: Peppermint essential oil is a clear colorless oil extracted from the aerial parts of the plant, primarily the leaves. It is harvested before flowering to prevent the inclusion of certain unpleasant-smelling molecules that are made by the plant after it flowers.

Last edited:
Details are important. What's the name of the company? By you at least telling us that, you might save another person's wallet.
This bottle was from SEOC (Sydney Essential Oil Co) It lists it as Mentha Piperita. !00% pure essential oil. They have three sources: India, Australia & USA. I think I would have bought the cheapest one (sigh) however it should still have been okay- maybe it was a blend after all! I will have to try another company and compare. Thanks to all replies,

I admit, I'm totally not familiar with that company. I'm in the USA, after all. I'm sure some of the others will chime in on that. I know that Indian peppermint oil should have been fine. I've used that with little trouble (I got some on my hands).

Latest posts

Back