SMF March 2017 Challenge- Black Background Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attempt #1 is done. I used WSPs Pistachio Macaroon because it discolors and I've been wanting to try it in CP . . . I already know it's the bomb in foaming sugar scrubs. It behaved quite well and the batter stayed fluid up until the very end of the pour. I might give it another go tomorrow using my baby slab mold and a totally different design technique. Only problem with the slab mold is that I can't seem to cut square bars, they always end up wonky looking!

Attempt #1 is done.

Seriously? It's only the 4th.

Overachiever! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm going to be tearing up my kitchen with soaping on Tuesday. My micas won't arrive until Monday and I'm headed out of town on Thursday. So, mad soaping Tuesday!

I won't make a practice batch til tomorrow. I just have no idea how much AC to use for a one lb batch. I also want to try one of the samples I bought from Nurture.

I won't make a practice batch til tomorrow. I just have no idea how much AC to use for a one lb batch. I also want to try one of the samples I bought from Nurture.

I made a batch of AC face soap with 30 oz of oils (total batch weight was a smidge over 40 oz). I used 2 tblsp of AC and it came out straight up black. I CPOPed in a roughly 90 deg F oven so it probably gelled but I can't say for certain.

Another batch I made, I split the batter and used 1 tblsp for about 30 oz of oil. Based on the appearance, the batch only partially gelled. The ungelled AC came out gray. The gelled AC was black but not a really deep black, if that makes sense.

So if you're looking for a solid, deep black for a one lb batch, I'd try 1 tblsp AC and gel it.

I made a batch of AC face soap with 30 oz of oils (total batch weight was a smidge over 40 oz). I used 2 tblsp of AC and it came out straight up black. I CPOPed in a roughly 90 deg F oven so it probably gelled but I can't say for certain.

Another batch I made, I split the batter and used 1 tblsp for about 30 oz of oil. Based on the appearance, the batch only partially gelled. The ungelled AC came out gray. The gelled AC was black but not a really deep black, if that makes sense.

So if you're looking for a solid, deep black for a one lb batch, I'd try 1 tblsp AC and gel it.

Given that I'm in a different environment, I might have to use the oven for the first time ever. I never CPOP'd before. I also need to choose which FO to test. Nurture's Persephone's Kiss smells nice OOB and I'd love to use it in a lotion. But Afternoon Tea is also lotion worth and it also smells amazing OOB. two samples, one decision...

Given that I'm in a different environment, I might have to use the oven for the first time ever. I never CPOP'd before. I also need to choose which FO to test. Nurture's Persephone's Kiss smells nice OOB and I'd love to use it in a lotion. But Afternoon Tea is also lotion worth and it also smells amazing OOB. two samples, one decision...

Split the batch and use a different FO in each half. :)

I went crazy with my first ever FO test and made a huge batch which I then split 7 ways to test 6 different FOs. (I also left some unscented as it was a new recipe and I wanted to see how it behaved on its own.) I don't recommend testing that many FOs at once.
icon_crazy.gif

For purely selfish reasons, I vote for Afternoon Tea. I just made a batch with that one and am curious to hear what someone else thinks of it in CP.

In my earlier soaping days, I gelled by wrapping my mold (rinsed clean milk cartons actually) in a blanket and putting that underneath a cardboard box. You could also put the mold in a small cooler to hold the heat in. Now I use my toaster oven. I bought a countertop oven some time ago and have been too lazy to get rid of the toaster oven. Since I started soaping again, it works out well since the molds can sit in the toaster oven as long as they need to and aren't in the way.

I made my first batch on Friday night in Dodge City, Kansas. I planned it as a test run, and am glad that's all I expected from it. I struggled unsuccessfully to get a brand new bottle of FO open, but the lid just wouldn't budge. Not until hours later, after I put the soap to bed, when I took it out of the fridge and it opened without even giving me a fight. Oh, well, at least now I can use it in my next batch.

Because it was so cold in my room, it didn't even think of gelling, so I sat it in the passenger seat of my car to get some sun. When that didn't seem to nudge it toward gelling, I put the single bar mold on the dash of my car to see if that would get it warm enough to start & it did. So I did the same with the one-pound mold. It must have looked funny when I stopped at Taco Bell with those two soap molds on the dash of my car. :) Anyway, they got warm, stayed warm & I wrapped them up in my wool scarf and continued on my way. If I have enough time in the morning I'll cut the one-pound mold, before I leave here.

Made my first practice run. I'm attempting to gel it in the oven. I split the batter and used both FO's. The recipe is also new (dumb move) so I was not expecting it to come to trace as soon as it did (within 3 minutes it came to mediumish trace) but on the plus side, it will be my most gentle soap to date, aside from a castile.

My new FOs should arrive tomorrow, including WSP's Black Tie which I plan to use for this challenge! I had a request for "man soap", so I think this challenge will suite that request perfectly. Trying to decide between a dancing funnel or wall pour...

My new FOs should arrive tomorrow, including WSP's Black Tie which I plan to use for this challenge! I had a request for "man soap", so I think this challenge will suite that request perfectly. Trying to decide between a dancing funnel or wall pour...

Oh, how charming this soap must be.

I made my first attempt today. The phrase 'epic soap fail' applies. Used a new FO that claimed no acceleration. Umm, that was definitely not my experience. I went from emulsion to thick pudding in a nanosecond, and that was stirring by hand with a whisk.

I made a second batch of soap using the same recipe but a different FO and it behaved wonderfully so it had to have been the FO. But did I use black in the second recipe so it could also be a challenge entry? Of course not, because I did not yet realize the epic fail that the first batch would become. :headbanging:
So I'll be making more soap later next week, after I return from an out of town trip.

Edited to Add: After looking at a SoapQueen article about soap behaving badly, I know realize that my first batch actually seized. So now I know what THAT looks like. :think:

Last edited:
Well, I made mine too. But I am doing MP, so only one bar. I am thinking on trying a CP, not sure yet ..... I have a cowboy FO I have been wanting to use.

Well I have one batch made that is probably going to have to be my entry. Was planning a second batch for tonight, but ended up in er and the surgery last night so I probably can't get another done in time. Very disappointed because I've wanted to make this soap for a while and always have other things to make first. This challenge was just about perfect for it!

Well I have one batch made that is probably going to have to be my entry. Was planning a second batch for tonight, but ended up in er and the surgery last night so I probably can't get another done in time. Very disappointed because I've wanted to make this soap for a while and always have other things to make first. This challenge was just about perfect for it!

Oh no! I hope you are feeling better soon.

I am soooo bummed because this looks like such a fun challenge, and I totally want to participate! However, this month is filled with a lot of other, non-soaping responsibilities (boooo) and there just isn't enough time to properly devote to it. But I absolutely can't wait to see all the entries and wish everyone great success!

mx6inpenn, hope all is better soon!

Oh this will be entirely new for me too! I just found out about these techniques on YouTube. They actually don't look terribly hard as long as you have fluid batter. So my main goal will be a nice slow tracing recipe!

lol I had to google pictures, so I totally get that.

Back