What do you think of these numbers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacoma

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I haven't been on here in a long time. I'm wondering what you think of these numbers. What kind of soap do you think it will produce? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Hardness 42
Cleansing 21
Condition 54
Bubbly 21
Creamy 20
Iodine 68
INS 141

Lauric 16
Myristic 6
Palmitic 14
Stearic 7
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 34
Linoleic 18
Linolenic 2

What The Gent said plus tell us what additives (sugar, aloe juice, etc.) if any that you expect to add.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess your soap would be prone to DOS due to the high linoleic and linolenic acid content, would have a short to moderate lifespan in the shower, and perhaps may be a bit too strongly cleansing for my preference. But I'm only working off the fatty acid profile, not the actual recipe, so this is just a guess.

Last edited:
You are right about the DOS. I am thinking about doing away with Crisco and splitting it with Apricot Kernal oil and Avocado oil.

The formula is
30 oz Crisco
20 oz Coconut
20 oz Olive
8 oz shea butter
8 oz Palm Kernel flakes
12 oz lye
36 oz water
4 oz fragrance
1 oz Tocopherol
5% fat reduction

Last edited:
If I drop Crisco and go with 30 oz of Avocado it lowers Linoleic to 8 and Linolenic to 0
If I go with 15 ozs of Avo and 15 ozs of AKO it lowers Linoleic to 11 and Linolenic to 0

Yeah, I run into DOS with Crisco, more often than not.

For me the only soap with that high of a CO content that is not too drying to my skin also contains egg yolks. Otherwise, personally, I don't like high content CO soaps. But some people do.

I've never use Tocopheryl in soap (vit. E), I suppose that's for DOS prevention, is that right?

I found that my soaps started to smell a little rancid after about a year until I started adding Vitamin E. I think it makes a difference.

I don't use lard. My next batch will be with Avocado instead of Crisco just to see what happens. My soaps are very popular and they last a long time. Thanks for all the help folks. Dave

Latest posts

Back