lining wooden molds - part 1

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I called a few X-ray film recycling places (turns out it's a thing), and apparently it's only silver on the film - that's why they recycle it. Also, the 'stuff' is only on one side - one side will be shiny, the other side slightly matte. You want to put the shiny side next to the soap. I'm going to do a little experiment by putting some film in some strong NaOH solution to see how it goes.

I've been using freezer paper, but it's such a chore to cut every time, and if I don't get the corners covered, I get leakage and ugly soap. So last batch, I used a cheap, very flexible cutting board to make permanent liners for the ends. I get them at Ocean State Job Lot (cheap odd lot store in the NE) for about $1.50 a pair. I cut it a little larger on all dimensions than the ends, then used a razor knife to lightly score to fit inside, then bent the edges out. I cut the corners slightly so that they overlap. then I used freezer paper along the long edges, and it all worked quite well. I did only the ends because I had pieces left from other projects (they make great stencils for quilting) and didn't have enough to do the center as well.
The only difficulty so far is that, since I made my molds, they're not exactly the same sizes, so each liner set had to be customized and marked as to which end, which mold.

My dad made molds for me (awesome!) but i've had such a difficult time lining them with freezer paper. Yesterday though, my son, on his first attempt to line the wooden mold, perfected it! His very first time. I've watched youtube videos, looked at pictures, and just struggle with lining them. He's now my official mold lining maker. :)
All the best,
Cynthia

I know this response is REAL LATE, lol! I've taken the box that my stick blender came in and used the thick tape to hold my mold together. I lined and it made beautiful soap for me.

I picked up a couple sheets of heat-resistant quilter's Mylar from Joann fabrics and am going to give that a try for a semi-permanent liner solution. I have read that others have had a great deal of success with it.

I also use a wood mold that hubby made me. I can save you lots of time, I use shelf liner( dont peel off backing at all, printed side to the bottom of mold) to line the mold, cut one piece going the short way of mold, then cut another one the long way and place on top of the first one you cut, doe that make sense? I had a pic posted here quite awhile ago. There's hardly any leakage, and you can wipe clean and use again if you want.

As I don't make big batches, the skinny, narrow box my lye came in works out great when lined with freezer paper.

The best permanent liner I have seen was done on soaping101's youtube channel.

Watch "How to Make Silicone Soap Mold Liners S2W30 {part…" on YouTube
How to Make Silicone Soap Mold Liners S2W30 {part…: http://youtu.be/GKClapkhZxo

Someone posted a Youtube about creating silicone liners with a product called Mold Builder. Thank You! I just completed one for my larger 8 x 12 acrylic mold. It was easy peasy. Here are some pics. Haven't made soap in it yet, but can tell it will be a piece of cake.

Mold 1.JPG

Mold 2.JPG

Last edited:
Someone posted a Youtube about creating silicone liners with a product called Mold Builder. Thank You! I just completed one for my larger 8 x 12 acrylic mold. It was easy peasy. Here are some pics. Haven't made soap in it yet, but can tell it will be a piece of cake.

I have an acrylic loaf mold. Would I just a brush it on there or would I need to make a cast of the inside?

Not sure what you call in it the US, but here in Oz it's baking paper. That's what I have used since I started soaping and it works well, no creases.
I believe that is parchment paper here in USA. I searched and found out its a non-stick, high resistant heat paper and both sides are good to use. I keep seeing this at stores like Costco. Costco has only parchment paper. I guess this would be good to line molds.

I believe that is parchment paper here in USA. I searched and found out its a non-stick, high resistant heat paper and both sides are good to use. I keep seeing this at stores like Costco. Costco has only parchment paper. I guess this would be good to line molds.

Yeah, that's parchment paper. I've heard people argue for and against lining molds with it, as opposed to freezer paper. I've used both extensively, and I've never had a problem with either of them.

I have that stuff..its cool, and I can tell you it works wonderfully...I made 2 and use them in my little 1/2 lb tester molds

ETA: Duh..I already posted on this one page back..ehh..Im tired..been rendering all day :lol:

Last edited:
I have an acrylic loaf mold. Would I just a brush it on there or would I need to make a cast of the inside?

You need to make a casting of your mold.I got my mold builder at Micheal's Crafts Store

Here is Soaping101's vid:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKClapkhZxo&list=UU6NFc1XyVdzuyQw-f9HG42g[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back