~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > Introduction and Castile paste

Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #51
Hazel
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1800 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2032

MzMolly -

I hope I don't offend you but your comment made me laugh. Thanks, I needed one.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #52
MzMolly65

Liked 452 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Hi all .. I've been away from the list for ages and hardly making any soap but once in a while I still churn out a batch or two.

I wanted to reopen this old thread and show you some photos of this paste soap and how it all worked out.

In 2013 I wanted to reverse engineer this soap based on the traditional ingredients found on the packages. It only had 3 ingredients on the package; olive oil, KOH and water .. but it wasn't a liquid soap, it was a thick paste so I came to this forum looking for all your advice. *I* wasn't using it as soap, I was using it for a plaster process called Tadelakt.

Well .. I fell down the soaping rabbit hole for quite a while and while I made a lot of different soaps the funny thing is I never did make any Tadelakt. (if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about please go back to the beginning of this thread and read it all the way through to catch up.)

Anyway .. fast forward to 2017. I am STILL using some of the original batch of paste. I still love it. Interestingly enough and the reason I popped back in .. I made a 2nd batch but low and behold it turned all kinds of weird moldy. I'm pretty sure I made the 2nd batch identical to the first.

I stored the 2nd batch in 2 different types of containers ..
1st container was round plastic with simple push on lid and it grew weird round gellish lumps of mold throughout the paste
2nd container was rectangular plastic with 4 lock - snap on lid and it grew hard crystal like coating on the top of the paste

when you look at the pictures, keep in mind this is the exact same batch of soap, stored in the same place, for the same amount of time. The only thing different between the two soaps is the container and the mold.

There is also a picture of the good soap from the very first, original batch that I am still using 4 years after making it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beldimold.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	24077   Click image for larger version

Name:	beldimoldside.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	24078   Click image for larger version

Name:	beldicrystal.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24079   Click image for larger version

Name:	beldigood.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24080  

Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #53
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4105 Times on 2478 Posts
Likes Given: 751

It is funny that you popped back in after all this time. I had been wondering how your original paste turned out for you plastering projects.

Wow, this one is really really ugly. Wonder if the original was cooked longer or if you used higher water. I have never had paste go moldy but have had diluted LS go moldy
CeeMoor Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #54
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9406 Times on 4314 Posts
Likes Given: 4272

Hey, hi there, girlfriend -- been a long time, and I've missed ya!

The whitish "moldy" things in the round container look like they're firmer than the amber/brown paste. A few are even sticking out above the brownish soap paste. I wonder if they're lumps of fat or fatty acids that have crystallized out or something. Since the rectangular paste has "...hard crystal like coating on the top of the paste..." that makes me wonder even more.
SaltedFig Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #55
SaltedFig

Liked 114 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
Hey, hi there, girlfriend -- been a long time, and I've missed ya!

The whitish "moldy" things in the round container look like they're firmer than the amber/brown paste. A few are even sticking out above the brownish soap paste. I wonder if they're lumps of fat or fatty acids that have crystallized out or something. Since the rectangular paste has "...hard crystal like coating on the top of the paste..." that makes me wonder even more.
I thought the same, especially with it precipitating.

Possible tests? Maybe taking a piece and squishing it - fat/fatty acid would be maleable whereas a mould-based something would tend to be more brittle?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #56
MzMolly65

Liked 452 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 803

You know what .. I just remembered. I didn't make batch #2 identical to batch #1. Batch #2 had actual black olive pulp in it because I was trying to match that really dark version I saw the plasterers using and someone from Morocco told me their soap had pulp included in it.

I am about to make a third batch, since batch number 2 went pear shaped and I'm down to the last dregs of batch #1. I'm pretty sure I'll stick to straight oil this time and pass on the olive pulp.

Hopefully it will be as good as batch #1 and since it's being made for human use and not Tadelakt AND since I had mold in batch #2, I'll put preservative in this one.

Nice to see you as well DeeAnna and everyone else too, looks as though everyone's been busy making soap!
People Like This 
Old 03-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #57
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4105 Times on 2478 Posts
Likes Given: 751

DeeAnna Likes This