Fragrance Buddy FO test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 5x orange from someone that did not have as much of a burnt smell blended , but it wasn't as strong and I haven't tested the holding power...I'll have to look for it next time I think of it to see who it was.

Will be placing an order in the next month to restock...now I have to go back and re read the entire thread to see what I may want to get besides replacements LOL.

Let me know if you want any updates. Many of my testers are 4 to 5 months old (if scent longevity is a factor). There are few in my last batch that are promising. I'll try to post reviews before you place your order.

Citrusy scents are not easy.

Here are the Karma Blends I tried so far. These were poured 8 days ago.

I used about 1500 microliters for 40g batter. I aliquoted everything with a fine pipettor, down to a microliter. I normally try to blend as much as possible from the same supplier. I wanted to add lemongrass and Geranium EOs, and the ones I have for soap are from BB. I stuck to BB for other FOs too. What I'm saying here is that similar FOs from other suppliers will probably work just as well.

Usage rate: The Karma has a high usage rate ~30%. BB doesn't really give the IFRAs for their FOs. Based on their recommendations, my usage rate is below the limits for the various blends. It doesn't necessarily mean that the mixes are "100% safe" but it makes it less likely that I exceeded what would be recommended by IFRAs.

I like all the blends I tried. No discoloration so far.

FOs used: FB karma, FB Patchouli Value, BB Smoky Patchouli, BB Nag Champa, BB Sweet Meyer Lemon, BB Lemongrass and Geranium EO. I picked for blending some of the notes that Lush describes in their ingredient list as well as what I smelled in the Lush sample I have. The Lush sample smelled heavy, almost medicinal and I wanted to brighten it up a little.

K1- 4 Karma: 1 Lemongrass EO. (1200:300) The lemongrass overwhelmed the karma. Need to drop it to half or a quarter of what I added. It initially smelled like a complex lemongrass blend rather than karma. As it cures, the karma is coming through more and it is getting better and better.

K2- 2 Karma: 1 Smoky Patchouli (1000:500). It doesn’t smell much different than 212 alone. It just added a little softness. I don’t think at this point in the curing process that Smoky Patchouli adds any interesting notes to the straight Karma to make it a viable blend.

K3- Karma: Smoky Patchouli: lemongrass (1000:500:100). The lemongrass is much more subtle here and is closer to the original, just a little brighter. I think it also needs a hint of lemon.

K4- Karma: Smoky Patchouli: Geranium EO (900:450:200). Initially the geranium dominated but the patchouli is coming through nicely.

K5- Karma: Smoky Patchouli: Geranium EO: lemongrass EO (800:400:100:50). This is a nice blend with hints of lemongrass and geranium. It is a little brighter and more interesting than the original. This is what I’ll be using for the Karma soap minus the Smoky Patchouli which doesn’t add much here. I’ll also be adding about 50 to 100 microliters of a lemon FO. I smell both lemon and lemongrass in the original which is more evident when comparing it with the various testers. (Next blends to test: 1200 Karma: 100 geranium: 50 lemongrass: 50 and 100 lemon FO.)

K6- 1 Karma: 1 Nag Champa. This was the random pick. The blend is so much better than either one alone. It is hard to describe. I love this blend even better than the ones with essential oils. To my nose, it smells perfect. It is a soft, complex and unusual floral that doesn’t smell anything like its parents. It smells appropriately soapy. The scent has not morphed since it was poured. I think it’ll survive the full cure. If it does, I’ll be making a big batch to use up my Nag Champa bottle which is almost a year old. I may even try other Nag Champas.

K7- 2 Karma: 1 Nag Champa: 1 Smoky Patchouli. It smells similar to K6 but with more Karma/Patchouli coming through. I guess if anybody asked me for a hippie scent, I would give them this blend as an updated sophisticated version. I would use 3 parts Karma to 1 part Nag Champa.

K8- Karma: Patchouli Value: Smoky patchouli: Sweet Meyer Lemon: Geranium EO (450:450:450:100:50). This isn’t a bad mix, a bit softer than Karma alone but the SML didn’t contribute as much as lemongrass EO did.

I'll update this post at full cure.

Quickie update:

After a several month cure, the FB Lilac has lost out to the Tenn Candle lilac. It turned a weird flowery "pretty" scent instead of the lilac scent. This was in HP soaps, in CP results may vary.

I have to say that Black Coconut is now my favorite scent from them as it holds true even four months later. Takes about 2 weeks for it to finish discoloring, and mine never comes out even in HP (I add after cook) so its a streaky look but still looks nice.

The Monkey Farts is a nice fruity smell in HP that seems to be holding.

Merlin's Forest gets a bit more powdery smelling as it ages but is very very strong so you can use less.

Dark Knight starts out overly clove-y in HP but mellows out to a nice manly smell....

Patchouli Passion doesn't have as much of a yellow lather when used in HP but the CP bar, six months later, is awfully yellow. Blech. Smells great though!

Chili Pepper did lost some of the orange after a couple months cure (HP), I agree, mostly chili. Haven't had a chance to play with it or find my Orange 5x LOL.

Soapmaker: The karma/nag combo has me curious...I'm being asked for nag champa but bleh so far, maybe a combo I could live with LOL

I second the TCS Lilac. I don't like lilac but the TCS version cured nice and clean and held up very well. I haven't had a chance to blend it with anything yet.

I mixed the Orange Chili Pepper 2:1 with FB Orange Blossom and it worked out great. It discolored a light soft yellow from the orange blossom but held up the balance between the 2 scents much better. I think it will work well with TCS Tangerine Dreams also but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I made a large batch of the Patchouli Passion because I really like it. The scent held up very well. The soap discolored an ugly dark yellowish tan but it lathers white. The soap water is a light beige but I decided to live with it. Of all the Patchouli variants I tried, this one is the best.

I think the BB Nag Champa/ FB Karma blend is lovely. I'm using it for the swap. The karma on its own is medicinal and not very pleasant. The BB Nag Champa takes more than 6 months to mature enough to become a pleasant scent. In its early days, I likened it to rancid gasoline. Then it went through a stage of soft anise smell. At 8 months, the scent got stronger and smelled similar to the NC/K blend but I like the blend better. My tester with the blend was nice from day 1. It discolored a medium beige/ light chocolate milk. My larger batch discolored a dark grey with greenish hue.

I've tried the WSP NC/ karma blend and it was all wrong. The blend is worse than the WSP NC by itself so far. They both lack that floral element that made the BB blend stand out for me. Just a word of caution: BB reformulated their NC sometime last year after I bought my bottle. I haven't tried the new version. I hope the scent wasn't changed.

I'm finding discolorations hard to predict and hard to reproduce even when the scent holds true. I'm also finding that some FOS that don't work well in CP, don't work any better in HP over the long haul even when they are ok at 4 to 6 weeks. They still react, if more slowly, to the alkaline pH.

Last edited:
"I'm finding discolorations hard to predict and hard to reproduce even when the scent holds true. I'm also finding that some FOS that don't work well in CP, don't work any better in HP over the long haul even when they are ok at 4 to 6 weeks. They still react, if more slowly, to the alkaline pH."

Hrm, that's an interesting point with the scents. In a few months I will have to remember to resniff LOL.

So here are the ones I ended up getting large bottles of during a sale:

Merlin's Forest
Sweet Orange Chili Pepper
Cucumber Melon
Monkey Farts
Patchouli Passion
Dark Knight Bay Rum
Black Cedarwood and Juniper
Sea Witch
Apple Mango Tango
Black Coconut
Cappuchino
Plumeria
White Tea and Ginger
Nag Champa
True Lavender

I plead nose changes if any of the following reviews contradict anything earlier I posted! I decided I don't want to do any more supplier hopping and will stick with the few I use most (Tennessee Candle, Fragrance Buddy, very little from Brambleberry, one from Aztec, and very little from Nature's Garden) to make life easier.

Reviews: I now just do HP and my main recipe is lard based (40-60 percent depending). FO's are added after batch is allowed to slightly cool. Soaps are left in a non air conditioned area (85-YEOW, about 75% humidity) the first 24 hours until cut and beveled and then brought into an air conditioned area (76-78 degrees, about 50% humidity) and placed on racks to cure.

Merlin's Forest - is more powdery than other dragon's bloods but I like it. Discolors. Very strong so you don't need as much.

Sweet Orange Chili Pepper-discolors yellowy but I add orange mica anyway. Could use blending with orange to hold the orange better, see earlier posts.

Cucumber Melon-very clean smell that is holding at 4 months, tad light but that's the nature of the scent. No discolor.

Monkey Farts-Fruity, I am considering mixing in some banana since the last two batches it's not there. No discolor last two.

Patchouli Passion-CP soaps ended up with a weird grainy feel after 5 months and the yellow discolor issue made them "me" soaps. HP'd, mild yellow brown discolor so far . Scent holds well and even Patch dislikers are liking it.

Dark Knight Bay Rum-To me, manly scent. Did do a tint of greenish brown in HP batch. Scent went more clove-y after a few months, still looking for a manly scent that won't.

Black Cedarwood and Juniper-another manly one. I do this as one of two castile soaps I do HP, last two batches have a bright yellow discolor where the FO didn't mix as well as it should've. It's not DOS....I may have to add the scent in earlier (I let the batches cool a bit before adding) so it mixes better. Seems to have a harder time mixing into the HP batter than others.

Sea Witch-no discolor, fresh ocean scent, my only good ocean right now.

Apple Mango Tango-more apple than mango, to me it smells a lot like cucumber melon but other noses say it doesn't. No discolor, mixes into the HP batter easily, scent holds but doesn't overpower.

Black Coconut-brown discolor, it's NOT coconut but a tropical dark scent. I like it.

Cappuchino-smells like...coffee! Brown discolor, scent sticks well.

Plumeria-OOB smells just like the name brand. Have not HP'd this yet since it's just for me...

White Tea and Ginger-no discolor on last batch, same strength as cucumber melon, clean smelling soap great for people who don't like perfume. Behaves well in HP.

Nag Champa-I'll let you know. Testers were light and did discolor light brown eventually. Have a request for this so I ended up getting enough to do a couple batches.

True Lavender-no discolor, nice lavender, not perfumy at all. . I also have lavender sage but the sage overpowered it. Hrm, I wonder about mixing the two.....

Soapmaker, your discolor comment made me go look hard at batches. None of my batches are the same colors LOL. I think the HP temp has something to do with my variation (I don't check it...)

Soapmaker, I'm adding your other post over here for convience :). Hope you don't mind!

I looked at my testers. From the last batch I poured, the following FOs are the ones I'll probably buy in larger bottles after I use up some of what I have:
-Celtic Mist: complex woodsy scent, discolors dark yellow with very heavy ash.
-Furze: reminds me of desserts I had in Japanese/ Middle Eastern restaurants, hints of rice, coconut and neroli. It discolored very dark brown. I'll only make few bars of this one for me.
-Uluru: light sandalwood/orange scent. I would use it for blending only because it is too light on its own but I think it can be mixed successfully with citrusy FOs.
-Avobath: this is a good dupe. It will be my go-to "lemongrass" FO.
-Sweet Temptations: this one is ok on its own but could be used to blend with many different types of FOs. It is a fruity and floral mix. No discoloration.
-Dead sexy: This one is similar to Flowerbomb from TCS. I would use it in blends similar to Flowerbomb.
-Princess Orchid: Nice floral in the Orange Blossom/Neroli family. No discoloration.
-Salty Mariner: Lovely complex herbal oceany scent. I like it enough not to try any other salty mariner. No discoloration.
-Teakwood Forest: Of all the woodsy scents from FB, this is my favorite. It is well blended with no off notes.
-Celebrate: This is a nice citrusy blend. Nice citrusy FOs without harsh notes and with decent longevity have been difficult to find. I would use it alone and in blends.
-Patchouli Value: This is a light patchouli that I would use to blend because of minimal discoloration.
-Celestial Sea: It took a long time for this scent to decide what it wants to be. I ended up with a complex soft coniferous fragrance with added complexity.
-Sage: This is an older one. I like it a lot alone even though it isn't pure sage. I also like it mixed with lavender to recreate the Lavender Sage FO. FB's LS is not good in cp. It acquires harsh notes as it cures. Mixing Sage with a favorite Lavender works much better.
Flowerbomb: This one is also old. I would use it in blends unless I find one of the other Flowerbomb types works better.

I've bought big bottles of:
Earthen Oak (overpowering at 5%), Karma (mixed with a little citrus/Geranium, or in blends), Patchouli Passion, Sweet Orange Chili Pepper, Orange Blossom, Champagne and Snow Showers (neroli family), Black Raspberry Vanilla (the best of the BRVs I tried), Amber Blush (on its own or to use in blends), White Tea & Ginger, Lily of the Valley, Beach, Crisp Morning Air (sweet mint tea), Leaves (perfect fall scent), Flying Fox, and Jungle for old times sake. I may be forgetting 1 or 2.

My list is heavy on the Neroli family because several friends requested it.

Out of the ~300 I've tested (full list in the in the FB thread), these are the ones I ended up with. I came close to liking about 10% of what I tested. My nose seems to favor the Moonworks collection.

Thank you nsmar for doing this. I'm hoping I'll be able to write full reviews for the remainder of the FOs sometime soon now that my nose is working properly again. I can pour them a lot faster than I can review them.

Black Cedarwood and Juniper-another manly one. I do this as one of two castile soaps I do HP, last two batches have a bright yellow discolor where the FO didn't mix as well as it should've. It's not DOS....I may have to add the scent in earlier (I let the batches cool a bit before adding) so it mixes better. Seems to have a harder time mixing into the HP batter than others.

White Tea and Ginger-no discolor on last batch, same strength as cucumber melon, clean smelling soap great for people who don't like perfume. Behaves well in HP.

Soapmaker, your discolor comment made me go look hard at batches. None of my batches are the same colors LOL. I think the HP temp has something to do with my variation (I don't check it...)

I think it has a lot to do with pH also even when it is HP. My experiment with hot process convinced me that HP is not enough to save an FO. I ended up rebatching the Black Cedarwood HP soap I made because the scent morphed. The Teakwood Forest worked much better for me than Black Cedarwood and Driftwood FOs.

FB White Tea & Ginger is my go to WT&G FO right now. This one survived CP and is recognizable after a long cure. The BB version did not survive. I plan to do some blending in this family of scents when I have more time.

Like you, I seem to be sticking with mainly TCS, FB, BB with a few other FOs from other suppliers.

Interesting point about the PH!

Got a few new ones to try...

Plumeria-I finally soaped with it. I bet it'll accelerate in CP because my HP batter went hard fast. No discolor two weeks out so far, I did use pink mica to color so there may be something slight. Smells better in the soap than OOB and is exactly what I remember plumeria smelling like.

Bacon-Couldn't resist. OOB I have to keep the animals away! Two weeks out and all I smell is smoke though?! Going to have to see if it comes back. No discolor.

Green Irish Tweed- it's flat out Irish Spring and a strong one at that (according to my guinea pig tester). No discolor.

Voice of reason-OOB smells like a curry smoke...and really close to bacon. In the soap, I can't tell what it is. I may need to redo those two as testers. No discolor at two weeks.

Suntan Lotion-OOB smells like a fruity suntan...in the soap it has an odd slight chemical undertone and flattens (if that makes sense) to a non descript kinda coco smell. Again, two weeks so it may come back. Is discoloring light reddish brown so far.

Merlot-OOB smells like wine, in the soap errrr I'll have to have a wine drinker sniff it. Loses some of the "sharpness". No discolor.

Bourbon Barrel-OOB I can see it being bourbon. In the soap it's faint, I'll have to have someone else sniff it. No discolor.

Champagne Pear-OOB, mostly champagne. In soap, light and pear-y. Slight discolor so far.

Cannabis Flower-smells exactly like Merlin's Forest and discolors dark reddish brown. Weird???

This group has a lot more that smell different in the soap vs OOB than most of the Fragrance buddy ones I deal with...not sure why...

The initial reviews can be found earlier in this thread.

Leaves (#230): It's a rich fall scent with a lot of fruit notes and spice. My tester is 10 months old and it is starting to smell more generic. I still smell spice with hints of fruit but not as nice as before. The fruit scent is becoming more generic. I had poured a larger batch around Christmas. Those soaps still retain the original scent at 8 months+. It is probably best used within the first 6 months.

If you are looking for something spicy, try Skinny Dip (#218 ). This was overwhelming when first poured but it mellowed enough at 10 months. It is spicy and woodsy and smells really nice and appropriately soapy. I poured at 5% but the MUR is only 3%. I plan on using it at 1.5% and I think it'll be plenty strong. It would be easy to add fruit notes to it.

Beach (#238 ): This was a confused scent for the duration of the cure. At one point, the scent disappeared and then came back at the end of the cure. It also smelled like Sun&Sand for a long time. I almost convinced myself that I made a mistake. At the end of the cure, the scent changed and it became a very light floral airy scent that stuck around. It's still there at 10 months. I think Beach needs at least 8 weeks to cure. The floral notes are subtle with hints of jasmine and almost neroli without quite getting there. I ended up really liking it. I bought a big bottle. It can also be used for blending. I also tried my tester several times in the shower and then took it back to the basement. There is no hint of DOS or any problems with the soap.

I so need to update this thread because a number of the FOs that I haven't reviewed yet survived a long cure and are quite nice soap scents.

This post is only an updated description of the process I use to make the testers:

I try to keep my testing as similar to my regular soaping process as much as possible. I don’t have a single recipe that I use repeatedly. I tend to use 50% solid oils including 5 to 10% real butters and 50% liquid. I do use a bit more linoleic acid in the tester mix to get an indication of DOS formation with extended cure. So far, fragrances have been the only contributor to DOS. My test recipe has 30% tallow, 15% coconut, 5% Mango butter, 5% castor, 10% canola, 10% Apricot Kernel, and the rest is rice bran or high oleic sunflower oil. I add 1%salt, 2%sugar, 1% EDTA or citrate, 1% sodium lactate or some vinegar just like my regular soaps. Vinegar is better for small testers.

-I aliquot the FOs few days in advance in small 2 ml tubes (~1.5g) or in 7 ml (~6g) tubes (picture attached). It is just a convenience because I pour a lot of testers in a single session. I can open the tubes and dump the content in the batter and stir. It minimizes the length of time I have to smell the FOs. It would be messier and slower if I had to open bottles and measure a small aliquot. Sometimes I add clay especially when I think the fragrance is delicate. I wash the tubes and reuse them repeatedly. This amount of FO adds up to 5 to 6% of batter weight. This is always my starting point. I can use less on the next round if needs be.

-The 2 ml are added to 30 to 40 g of batter. The 7 ml goes into 120 to 150g. I used to weigh the batter into the small containers but now I just eyeball it. I used to pour mostly the large testers but I mostly pour the small ones now. The FOs that survive the cp process (at least to my nose) can easily be identified from the small tester. Same for the wet test. My suggestion is to start with no more than 60g of batter which will need half of the 7ml tube in FO. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a lot of soaps to deal with (rebatch, trash, find somebody who likes the scent).

-For containers, I use the small waxed paper cups, small 2oz plastic condiment containers or yogurt cups (picture). I have a bunch of baby silicone spoons to stir the fragrance. The paper cups are convenient because I don’t have to wash them and I don’t feel too bad dumping them in the garbage. The plastic containers I wash (a real pain) and reuse. Otherwise, I can’t justify using them. If you use the paper cups, you need a thicker trace (pudding) because the wax will react with the lye. All the containers can be CPOPed if that is a normal part of your process.

-I mix my batter mostly by hand and let the reaction proceed while I set up, with occasional stirring. I usually have all the containers numbered and in order and the FOs lined up in a rack. When the batter is ready, I pour batter into 5 to 10 containers, dump the FOs by # into the batter then stir. I repeat until all the testers are poured. I always pour a naked tester to have it for comparison. I group the testers as close together as I can to benefit from the exothermic reaction. Some of them will overheat, relatively speaking. You can identify problematic FOs if you check on the testers during the first few hours after the pour just from the higher temperature they reach.

-You can get an indication if a fragrance is going to accelerate or rice from the small tester even though the reaction is slower in a small vessel. Some of the testers become quite hard before you finish the pour and the surface is not perfectly smooth. You can also get an indication of ash as you can see in the tester picture below.

-I’ve done CPOP and I’ve left the testers covered with towels in a warm place. You can unmold faster when CPOP but both work. To get an idea of how the FO will behave in your soaps, follow your normal process.

-Numbers (and excel) are your friend when you do a lot of testing. You can’t keep track otherwise.

You can see the poured samples and the unmolded testers in the pictures below. I keep my testers in the basement, temp and humidity controlled. I leave them alone for at least 3 months, sometimes longer before I try them. Pouring is the easy part. The hard part is finding enough time to smell few testers repeatedly and in different order on different days until you have an idea of what the true scent profile is like. It helps to have the FO spotted on a small piece of absorbent paper for comparison.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Tubes1.jpg

Containers1.jpg

Poured small testers.jpg

Poured large testers.jpg

Testers1.jpg

Some minor updates as I think about it. Sales are hopefully coming soon :).

Got around to using up some of my tester bottles in an HP experiment today...and I have to say, Beach really changed after being stored for a while-for the better! My bottles are stored out of the light and at normal room temp (liveable). Out of the bottle it still didn't make up its mind but once in the soap, yep, I smell suntan lotion/sand! I think I'm going to get a 4oz bottle next sale and let it sit a few months. Originally in testing it kept moving around in scent every few minutes in the soap, now its staying steady.

White Tea and Ginger does hold, found an older batch and its still there. My go to White Tea Ginger.

Smell of freedom is now..dirt. Freedom smells like dirt. Eh. :)
Sun and sand also smells like dirt.
Jungle...is green dirt. Either I am losing it or that's a lot of dirt!

Honeydew holds past six months, keeper! Sweet juicy melon. Kept all the bars for me :).

Rose Godess (Imogen Rose) is the only rose that stays around. I mix it half with the regular Rose to cut the green/sweet down a bit but it's my go to rose now.

Capuchino isn't playing around-that's COFFEE and stays that way.

Nag Champa fades out but there's enough left to keep the diehard nag fans happy.

Last edited:
Some minor updates as I think about it. Sales are hopefully coming soon :).

Got around to using up some of my tester bottles in an HP experiment today...and I have to say, Beach really changed after being stored for a while-for the better! My bottles are stored out of the light and at normal room temp (liveable). Out of the bottle it still didn't make up its mind but once in the soap, yep, I smell suntan lotion/sand! I think I'm going to get a 4oz bottle next sale and let it sit a few months. Originally in testing it kept moving around in scent every few minutes in the soap, now its staying steady.

White Tea and Ginger does hold, found an older batch and its still there. My go to White Tea Ginger.

Smell of freedom is now..dirt. Freedom smells like dirt. Eh. :)
Sun and sand also smells like dirt.
Jungle...is green dirt. Either I am losing it or that's a lot of dirt!

Honeydew holds past six months, keeper! Sweet juicy melon. Kept all the bars for me :).

Rose Godess (Imogen Rose) is the only rose that stays around. I mix it half with the regular Rose to cut the green/sweet down a bit but it's my go to rose now.

Capuchino isn't playing around-that's COFFEE and stays that way.

Nag Champa fades out but there's enough left to keep the diehard nag fans happy.

I'm with you on the WT&G. It's the only WT&G of the ones I tested that sticks. The oil is blueish but it soaps without discoloration. I also poured it mixed with BB Neroli. I'm not sure why you're smelling so much dirt in the rest of their FOs. I love Jungle. I have Imogen Rose and I like it mixed with RE's Rosewood&Musk.

The Nag Champa faded on me. I really like BB Nag Champa mixed with FB Karma.

FB just had a sale but I think they'll have another before the end of the year.

Oooh, I'm so disappointed to hear that the smell of freedom turned into dirt. I ordered a little 1oz sample bottle and they inexplicably sent me a 4ozer. Oh well.

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner - I ended up making mini testers for a bunch of fos that didn't have reviews!

Latest posts

Back