Your opinion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I want to build some wooden molds tomorrow. Would you please help me figure out something? If I'm wanting to build a 1lb oil weight mold that is 3.5" wide, and make my bars 2.5" tall, how many inside inches would the length need to be? All inner measurements. What would the length need to be for 2, 3, 4, & 5lb oil weights? I know you figure it by using LxWxHX.40 but for some reason I can't figure out the lengths they would need to be. My wood is 4" wide but that doesn't matter because I'm only making my bars 2.5" tall. Please help me if you will. I want to make them as soon as I wake in the morning. Thanks in advance for your generosity in helping me with this.

0.4 x 2.5 x 3.5 x 1 = 8.75. So I figure a mould needs to be 8.75 inches long to make a 1lb batch that is 2.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide.

You basically just take the formula and change the order so that the value that you want to find is at the end.

0.4 x 2.5 x 3.5 x 1 = 8.75. So I figure a mould needs to be 8.75 inches long to make a 1lb batch that is 2.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide.

You basically just take the formula and change the order so that the value that you want to find is at the end.

Not quite. You have to solve for the length, not just rearrange the formula and the formula is based on ounces, not pounds.

L x W x H x .4 = V

L x 3.5 x 2.5 x .4 = 16

L x 3.5 = 16

L = 4.57"

My 12" mold with the same height and width holds 42 oz., so this length sounds right to me.

Thanks yall! I just couldn't get it right last night. I really need to get my internal clock reset. It's making everything not well lolol. I hope yall both have been doing well. I've been spending time on fb groups trying to learn as much as I can from some really cool people. Take care and thanks again!

Woo Hoo!!! New molds for me! I'm so happy. Now I can cpop like nobody's business some pretty swirls (hopefully) with some fos that I only have an ounce or 2 of without having to weigh and divide batter. I'll just run my recipe through soapcalc at all those lb increments so I don't screw up my calculations lol. Brain damage sucks!

Latest posts

Back