I want to make Aleppo soap - Please help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I received my laurel berry oil shipment one week ago! I've been reading old threads on Aleppo soap while trying to make my very first laurel soap.

But I still cannot decide on which method to choose: CP or HP.

Nor my choice of liquid in soap: Salt water or Distilled water

Also I cannot decide on how much I laurel oil I want to add in the soap. Some has added 40%:60% (laurel/olive) while others used only 20%:80% with good results. Is the more the better? Probably not...but more expense it can be.

I've been making soaps for so many years, but I've never been as indecisive on making soap like this :). I guess since laurel oil is so expense and hard to get in US, I want to make sure it comes out prefect in one try, if all possible.

I need your guidance SMF family, please! Thank you.

Last edited:
I've never made Aleppo soap, but since 'd like to make it one day, I kinda sorta have a plan floating in the back of my mind of how I want to go about making it. Maybe this will help you decide, I don't know, but for what its worth, I want to make mine 70% OO and 30% Bay Laurel oil, with a salt-water lye solution. I haven't decided if I want to do CP or HP with it yet, though.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

IrishLass :)

From an article I read, the century old soap factories in Aleppo cook the soap for days before pouring and slicing. So I would HP it. If your scale is accurate enough, I'd do a 1 lb batch with 20% laurel oil and another 1 lb batch with 40%, and compare.

I've never made Aleppo soap, but since 'd like to make it one day, I kinda sorta have a plan floating in the back of my mind of how I want to go about making it. Maybe this will help you decide, I don't know, but for what its worth, I want to make mine 70% OO and 30% Bay Laurel oil, with a salt-water lye solution. I haven't decided if I want to do CP or HP with it yet, though.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll let us know how it comes out!

IrishLass :)

Hi IrishLass, thank you for your input. I was leaning toward salt water as my liquid too. Yes, I will let you know how it goes.

From an article I read, the century old soap factories in Aleppo cook the soap for days before pouring and slicing. So I would HP it. If your scale is accurate enough, I'd do a 1 lb batch with 20% laurel oil and another 1 lb batch with 40%, and compare.

Based on my readings on Aleppo soap, it makes more sense to do HP. Plus, there is one video done by a SMF member named Scrubbie, she made her Aleppo soap using a crock pot. Thank you Dixidgragon!

"...century old soap factories in Aleppo cook the soap for days before pouring and slicing..."

Yes that is all true, but their "boiled" method doesn't really have any connection with any of the typical ways we make handcrafted soap. I'd suggest you use whatever method -- HP or CP -- that you are most comfortable with and get the best results.

If you want to inject a flavor of old-school aleppo into your soap making, then only hand stir. :)

"...century old soap factories in Aleppo cook the soap for days before pouring and slicing..."

Yes that is all true, but their "boiled" method doesn't really have any connection with any of the typical ways we make handcrafted soap. I'd suggest you use whatever method -- HP or CP -- that you are most comfortable with and get the best results.

If you want to inject a flavor of old-school aleppo into your soap making, then only hand stir. :)

I am much more comfortable with CP. Okay, may be I will just do CP for my first batch of Aleppo soap.

Whew~~~Thank you DeeAnna!

Hand stirring? Hmmm... very tempting...should I? But definitely a big no to " salting out" :)!

Latest posts

Back