Please help w/ my Organic EO list for Lip Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissKat

Reaction score
I've been going over and over my list trying to figure out if I'm missing any other Organic EO's that would be good in Lip Balm. Here's my list:

Cinnamon, Leaf
Clove
Ginger, Fresh
Lavender
Nutmeg
Orange, 5x
Peppermint
Spearmint
Star Anise
Tea Tree

I recently contacted Lebermuth re: Organic Lemon, 5x and Lime, 5x. They are waiting for a shipment on Lime, but do not ever carry Lemon. I've searched and searched on the net but no luck finding Organic Lemon, 5x ... well I found it at one company but I don't trust them. Bummer on the no Organic Lemon, 5x ... that would have been nice to blend with.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any Organic EO's that I have not thought about that would be good in Lip Balm? And it does have to be Organic.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

I've heard Litsea Cubea is comparable to lemon. Some other EOs that come to mind are coffee and dill, if you can find organic versions of them.

Anise in either form is restricted as it is a neural toxin and definitely not recommended for internal use. People lick their lips so it becomes internal. If memory serves me it is .7% for exterior only use products.

Cinnamon EO is a known skin irritant so I don't think you would want it on the lips, which are especially sensitive (Clove too). Lavender EO tastes horrible so I personally wouldn't want that on my lips either (nor tea tree).

I would be interested to know how you get on with the rest though :)

Anise in either form is restricted as it is a neural toxin and definitely not recommended for internal use. People lick their lips so it becomes internal. If memory serves me it is .7% for exterior only use products.

Star Anise is GRAS and FCC, which is why I feel safe using it in a lip balm (at a low rate of 0.5%). It's an herb that is used in cooking and Chinese medicine. It is *unsafe* for infants.

Maybe you're referring to Anise Seed? This is also GRAS and I think it's also FCC, didn't research that deeper because I wasn't going to use it. While I was researching Star Anise I came across info pertaining to Anise Seed. It is said to have a better flavor. The oil is used in flavoring licorice and other foods. In higher doses it *is* a neurotoxin. But I only read the neurotoxin info about Anise Seed, not Star Anise.

Cinnamon EO is a known skin irritant so I don't think you would want it on the lips, which are especially sensitive (Clove too).

True, but some people are not. Usually people that are sensitive know, and that's from trail and error ... as w/ anything in life. To be on the safe side I use it at 0.5% (combined) for an added spice aroma.

Lavender EO tastes horrible so I personally wouldn't want that on my lips either (nor tea tree).

I don't either (bleck ... LOL), but some people do. These EO's are used strictly for their therapeutic purposes, which is incredible and IMHO the top 2 for aromatherapy.

Star Anise is GRAS and FCC, which is why I feel safe using it in a lip balm (at a low rate of 0.5%). It's an herb that is used in cooking and Chinese medicine. It is *unsafe* for infants.

Maybe you're referring to Anise Seed? This is also GRAS and I think it's also FCC, didn't research that deeper because I wasn't going to use it. While I was researching Star Anise I came across info pertaining to Anise Seed. It is said to have a better flavor. The oil is used in flavoring licorice and other foods. In higher doses it *is* a neurotoxin. But I only read the neurotoxin info about Anise Seed, not Star Anise.

You are referring to the herb, I am referring to the essential oils which is not GRAS or food safe. There is a big difference between the herb and an essential oil.

Ditto on the difference between the essential oils and other products. If you want Coffee Lip Balm you can make it from infusing Coffee into your ingredients.

True, but some people are not. Usually people that are sensitive know, and that's from trail and error ... as w/ anything in life. To be on the safe side I use it at 0.5% (combined) for an added spice aroma.

Most people won't know that their skin or mucous membranes are sensitive to Cinnamon essential oil because it is not commonly used in applications designed to go directly on the skin or lips.

I don't either (bleck ... LOL), but some people do. These EO's are used strictly for their therapeutic purposes, which is incredible and IMHO the top 2 for aromatherapy.

Yes lavender and tea tree are the two most useful oils for therapeutic purposes but that is different from putting them on your lips. I do gargle with a couple of drops of tea tree when I feel a sore throat coming on - but it sure doesn't taste good!

I'm sure you will figure out which ones work though :)

Last edited:
I make a lot of star anise soap and make a lavender & anise lip balm that is very popular. Been making it for a few years and never had any complaints and it have never bothered me.

I make an anise soap as well and yes it is popular but I am staying within the proscribed amounts. As for lip balm it is something I wouldn't risk because I do know about the risks. I'm not going to criticize, it is just something I wouldn't risk.

Also, citrus EO can cause sun sensitivity. I don't use them in anything that is a leave on product. I would hate for someone to get sunburned lips. I've heard of children getting severe sunburns from using lotion and balm products with lemon and lime EO's. You never know who will get ahold of your products.

Back