How much preservative in facial scrub?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neve

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I made a facial scrub - I forget exactly what's in it (I wrote it down, somewhere) but basically I was trying to do my own version of Angels on Bare Skin. I used rose water, glycerine, EOs etc, kaolin, dried lavender flowers and ground almond and other stuff I can't remember...

What I'm not quite sure about is whether to calculate the amount of preservative needed based on the amount of liquid in the product (which is what I did, I added the ground almond last after everything else was mixed), or whether it should be based on the total weight including the dry ingredients.

I actually made quite a large batch of it and I'm hoping it's ok, I have a full pot in the bathroom and leftovers are in the fridge. The scrub itself is amazing, but now I'm getting hesitant to use it because I don't know if it's still safe. I am getting so many skin infections on my fingers, ears etc. (not from the scrub, I don't scrub my ears!) I need to be really careful.

I used liquid germall plus... the only one I have.

Last edited:
I just found my post-it note and put all the numbers in a spreadsheet. I'm at 0.55% so I guess I'm OK.

Latest posts

Back