Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggybean37

Reaction score
Hi, All!

Looking at creating roll-on perfume oil, wondering about usage rates. The company I buy the bulk of my FO's from, BB, doesn't have a fragrance calculator for Perfume specifically, but I would guess the next best thing would be the rates for lotion at 0.2 oz/ppo, however I find it's not quite strong enough to be used as a perfume at this rate. Because you're only rolling on a small spot at a time (vs. your whole body) would the rate still be the same? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

If the FO is too strong, it could still cause a reaction on that small spot of skin. Look under the description of the FO and see what the maximum suggested usage rate is for a leave on product.

sadly BB doesn't list this on their site (unless I've missed it somewhere..? I can't see it on the listings themselves). I will write in to see what I can find. Thanks!

Ask for the IFRA guidelines. You are correct in that the amount for lotion is usually the same as for perfume or any other leave on product. No, it isn't as strong as commercial stuff, but it varies from one scent to another.

Yet another reason why I prefer suppliers like Nature's Garden and Wholesale Supplies Plus, the IFRA is linked for every fragrance right on their sites.

Thanks very much! I had just found that soapqueen post as well, and noticed that the usage rate used in that recipe was quite high as well. I'd definitely agree as well that IFRA guidelines should be displayed right on each listing - you shouldn't have to dig and hunt to find safety guidelines for items.

I make perfume oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil and this cuts the concentration a bit. I don't go by %'s I know by measurement now how much to use.

Froggybean, this was on my list of questions too! I made a solid perfume last week with patchouli oil, lavender and tea tree (can't remember where I saw the suggestion) but my ratios were off and I can't smell patchouli in there anywhere.

Do you use fragrance oils for perfume? I have a few from magestic mountain, and although I like them, they do smell like soap and candles to me. Something about them- i dunno. Not quite what I was hoping for.

I use FO's from BB and organic EO's from a few different places (mountain rose is a definite favourite), and I've liked them (some scents are certainly more suitable for perfumes than others). I know what you mean about things smelling like soap/candles, though. Those are scents which tend to sit on my shelf gathering dust.

I used fractionated coconut oil as well, but am having a hard time getting the scent where I'd like it. In the end, BB wouldn't give me the safe max usage %'s, which I think is odd - not sure why you wouldn't want your customers to have the information they need to use your products safely. It has me looking at other suppliers who display this information outright in their listings, to be quite honest.

In order to call a product a perfume it MUST contain 20-30% perfumed oil, be it EO/FO or a combination. If one of the ingredients you want to use in your perfume can only be used at a lower level, you have to blend it with other eos/fos to get to the minimum of 20%. Usage rates can vary depending on whether the product is leave-on, wash-off, or if it will be mixed into additional liquid, such as a bath bomb or bath truffle.

Latest posts

Back