Lionprincess's rendering method - A+!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I read on this page that you actually don't want the tallow to separate quickly, b/c some of the yucky stuff and water is trapped. When the tallow separates more gradually, there is more time for the water to end up on the bottom and the impurities to float down from the tallow and into the water.

OK, but I am putting clean tallow in the freezer after only the second remelt. I had one tiny spot of blech on the bottom of the first go, so I scraped it off and remelted, ran that through a strainer, got nothing. So I figured I'm done, right? Perfectly white and smells about as strong as the commercially rendered lard. If I am missing something, let me know. I have never done this before.

But, wow, that baking soda and salt sure pulled some smell out of that fat!

Last edited:
That seems so strange to me ... that the baking soda has an effect on the smell. It seemed to me that someone along the way used it because it worked in the fridge. I never considered that it was more than superstition. I wonder what the chemical process is there?

OK, but I am putting clean tallow in the freezer after only the second remelt. I had one tiny spot of blech on the bottom of the first go, so I scraped it off and remelted, ran that through a strainer, got nothing. So I figured I'm done, right? Perfectly white and smells about as strong as the commercially rendered lard. If I am missing something, let me know. I have never done this before.

But, wow, that baking soda and salt sure pulled some smell out of that fat!

Hey Susie! Sorry, I'd have written earlier but I just got don't with two batches, dishes etc.

Ok. Tallow and lard I've never bought, only rendered. Mine is scent free at 98%. No meaty smell at all. I render until there's absolutely nothing left on the bottom of the disc. I've rendered tallow and a tallow lard blend. The only difference is the TL blend is softer and a yellow tinge. The T only is hard as rock and white. Both, however, do not smell. I have one that has a faint scent it sounds like you're talking about, but I didn't render enough. If you continue, you'll eventually get rid of the smell.
At this point, it will become a personal preference. If there's no gunk, no bits, no discoloration, and a faint odor, well then if you're satisfied then I say try it and see!
For me, my water that separates has to be Crystal clear after a render without baking soda....which occurs after apppx 3 with baking soda.
If the water beneath the fat disc is Crystal clear and scent free, the fat is crisp in color and scent free, then I'm happy.
That said,my way isn't set in stone so if you're comfortable then try it.

My only fear with having scent or anything questionable is dos and any leftover scent sticking. The meatier batch I've used doesn't smell through the soap really. It did one time early on, but it didn't stick after a cure. It doesn't have dos but it's drying out and hasn't had water to it yet.

I erred on the side of caution, and pulled it all out of the freezer and did yet another melt and strain. Nothing. Perfectly clear water, and nothing even faintly discoloring the cheesecloth(I used a bright light and a magnifying glass.). It does not smell any stronger than the commercial lard. I think I am done.

I may never do this again, but it was a great learning experience. However, my life blew up Saturday evening(not necessarily a bad reason, just a lot of changes coming) and I could not get back to the tallow until Tuesday, so I feel like I have been living in a grease factory for days. EEK.

Latest posts

Back