I made soap! (with pictures)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspar Navarrete

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

While I am learning about oils. I will make the recipe that Susie and Shunt2011 suggested.

Below is my understanding of the soap making process. If anything below doesn't seem right, please let me know. I am still a novice.

This soap will be used for bathing and for washing dishes.

Thanks

Step1.jpg

Step2.jpg

Set3.jpg

set4.jpg

set5.jpg

set6.jpg

set7.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason why I used pheno was that I didn't want to burn my tongue or my finger, in the event that the soap still had unreacted lye in it. I am under the impression that it is good to give the saponification time to complete.

That thread on soap tasting sour is a long one. Still going thru and digesting it ...

As for the process - I would zap test the batter (take a tiny bit out and let it cool) rather than using pheno and zap testing at the end. See the post about soap tasting sour for more about pH and safe soaps

A little bit of zap won't kill you. I got a massive zap from one Liquid Soap but there is no harm done.

To expand on this, my typical method is -

Put some soap and water on my finger. If no tingle, tap the soapy-watery finger to the tongue. If no zap, touch the soap to the tongue. That way I have some measure of control

Last edited:
Just a safety note. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you used a glass bowl to mix your lye water. Please don't do that as the lye will etch the glass and eventually cause it to shatter. Please use either stainless steel or PP5 plastic. I believe PP2 and HDPE 1 plastics are also safe, but my brain is malfunctioning at the moment lol

That was a pyrex bowl. Would lye also etch pyrex ?

A good thing to know. I have been preparing my lye-water in pyrex all this time. :Kitten Love:

Just a safety note. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you used a glass bowl to mix your lye water. Please don't do that as the lye will etch the glass and eventually cause it to shatter. Please use either stainless steel or PP5 plastic. I believe PP2 and HDPE 1 plastics are also safe, but my brain is malfunctioning at the moment lol

That was a pyrex bowl. Would lye also etch pyrex ?

A good thing to know. I have been preparing my lye-water in pyrex all this time. :Kitten Love:

The Pyrex we use for home use would etch, if the bowl is over 35 years old it would be okay, but they have changed the formula.

You can buy lab quality Pyrex , that would be okay. However you are safer just going with plastic, no wondering.

Back