Yiang Yiang stinks!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifthCap

Reaction score
I had such high hopes!

I twisted that bottle cap off so fast, wafted it, and ugh!

Its neat for this sticky ... what word am i looking for? Its not tart, its not musky...

There is some kind of plant around here in Ga that gets on your hands and will leave a pungent smell like this.

It is not sweet and floral which i was hoping for for a floral summer scent.

What can i mix this with to bring out is better side?

I smelled the most wonderful scent today by Aveda: mandarin, bergamot & Ylang Ylang.

Ah - don't mess with Mother Ylang Ylang. Very powerful EO..... Question - which variety do you have? It has many distillation forms and the results are surprisingly different. "Complete" is the most expensive and has an exacting distillation. I - is the next level, II is processed after one and finally III. By the time it goes through the third process it still carries the benefit of the oil but I have found it not sweet, strong herbal and sharp. I agree with snappyllama - strong citrus top notes will even out the sharpness. I like using bergamot as well. - It has a tendency to fade but the YY acting as a base note will help it hand in there. On the other end of the spectrum if you have any super sweet eo/fo, the YY will ground these as well.

Without going "Young Living/DuTerra", YY works as a strong antidepressant. I've used this in a diffuser in a locked Alzheimer's unit with aggressive angry patients and my results were consistently good. Good to the point that over a course of 9 months with 3 very volatile patients we were able to help ease their symptoms 65% w/out the need for a psychotropic medication.

Now we are talking soap here and I remain skeptical as to what if any properties survive the lye monster. But if I was still practicing with some of my good docs, I would probably have tried to formulate a lotion....

I love ylang ylang, it's funny though I read somewhere that it's a scent that it's a scent that is loved or hated and there is another scent that if you love ylang ylang you hate the other. Forgive me I can't remember what the other was, maybe lavender, but it rang true for me.

My favorite combo is eucalyptus/ylang ylang.

Without going "Young Living/DuTerra", YY works as a strong antidepressant. I've used this in a diffuser in a locked Alzheimer's unit with aggressive angry patients and my results were consistently good. Good to the point that over a course of 9 months with 3 very volatile patients we were able to help ease their symptoms 65% w/out the need for a psychotropic medication.

Allot of the lit suggests it's supposed to be an aphrodisiac as well so...

I'm not overly fond of lavender either, but I'll take it over this stuff lol

It is Ylang ylang III, that's why it smells?

I need to find a store that sells local so i can smell things before I order

I love ylang ylang, I used it with geranium and black pepper as mimic of expensive carnation. 10 grams of ylang ylang and 10 grams of black pepper with 5 grams of geranium

I have ylang ylang III as it was the cheapest and I really like the smell. It smells very sweet and floral to me. I wonder if you just have a dodgy batch. However, scent is very subjective! I love it mixed with rosewood.

I had such high hopes!

I twisted that bottle cap off so fast, wafted it, and ugh!

Its neat for this sticky ... what word am i looking for? Its not tart, its not musky...

There is some kind of plant around here in Ga that gets on your hands and will leave a pungent smell like this.

It is not sweet and floral which i was hoping for for a floral summer scent.

What can i mix this with to bring out is better side?

I completely agree with you! I got Ylang-ylang III as well because I was looking for a floral type scent that wasn't a typical rose. I was disappointed when I got it! It was a familiar scent though, because there's some plant in MS (probably same as in GA) that smells the same. I absolutely hate it.. but I really like lavender so I don't think that's supposed to be the other EO that you won't like lol

I completely agree with you! I got Ylang-ylang III as well because I was looking for a floral type scent that wasn't a typical rose. I was disappointed when I got it! It was a familiar scent though, because there's some plant in MS (probably same as in GA) that smells the same. I absolutely hate it.. but I really like lavender so I don't think that's supposed to be the other EO that you won't like lol

I want to say it's some sort of flower that's pretty and you'd expect it to smell nice but it doesn't..

I'm not overly fond of lavender either, but I'll take it over this stuff lol

It is Ylang ylang III, that's why it smells?

I do a blend of Ylang Ylang and lavender which I absolutely love but I'm guessing you'd loathe lol

I've not tried III, so not sure how it differs from the regular type but in any case I generally use small amounts of it, as it can be overpowering. So have a play around with blends and see if you can find something that takes the edge off for you :)

Most Whole Foods Markets (aka "Whole Paycheck") have a decent selection with testers for each scent. What they have in the stores are medicinal grade and cost a bazzillion dollars but you can get an approximation of what EOs should smell like.

My first experience with this EO was WSP's Ylang Ylang III and I couldn't stand the stench of it. I never used it in anything.
I then decided to try ED's Ylang Ylang Complete, and frankly, I'd never guess it was the same EO. It is just absolutely gorgeous.
So, maybe give it another shot with a different supplier and/or different grade.

I love ylang ylang, it's funny though I read somewhere that it's a scent that it's a scent that is loved or hated and there is another scent that if you love ylang ylang you hate the other. Forgive me I can't remember what the other was, maybe lavender, but it rang true for me.

Well, one thing's for sure- it's definitely true for me. I love lavender and hate ylang ylang. The only reason I keep a bottle of it in my house is for my SIL. I make 3 perfume blends for her with it (ylang ylang III). She loves ylang ylang, but then again, she also loves the smell of skunks, so.... lol :mrgreen:

The three blends I make for her are:

1) 2 drops myrrh, 2 drops lemon geranium, 1 drop ylang ylang III, 2 drops orange 5X.

2) 5 drops orange 5X, 1 drop ylang ylang III

3) 4 drops orange 5X, 1 drop ylang ylang III, 1 drop myrrh

IrishLass :)

I actually like a skunky smell myself.

I don't want to wear it, but i like it :D

So I made a batch today using Ylang Ylang...
mixed with grapefruit, rosemary, and lavender lol

It actually smells pretty good!

I'm excited to cut this one in a few days!

I ordered some YY3 from Liberty and you're right.... blech. Before that I always ordered my ylang from Essential Depot and will continue to do so. I am not sure which distillation they sell but if you are wanting a strong sweet lovely floral give them a try :)

Latest posts

Back