Homemade chocolate donuts, anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Yup, it's 'evil' ...think of a chipmunk saying it hahahaha

I make donuts the cheater way using canned biscuits. Let me find a video (I do make my own icing from confectioners sugar though!)

Galaxy, I saw in the video you posted that she specifies to get plain, regular canned biscuits, i.e., not the flakey, buttery kind with all the layers..........but......(sorry, I'm going to have to go a little bit EBIL on y'all here, please forgive me), but I got to thinking......I bet you might actually be able to make a version of the famous Cronut with the buttery/flakey kind of packaged biscuit dough, or packaged croissant dough!

For those that don't know, a Cronut is a cross between a donut and a croissant, invented by a chef named Dominique Ansel at the Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite youtube chefs (he's very humorous and always makes me laugh) making them in the first video, and then frying them and eating them in the second video. If you don't want to go to the trouble of making laminated dough as he does in the first video, just go to the store and buy some canned flakey biscuit dough, or croissant dough and follow his instructions in the second video. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it just might work (at least in theory)!

Part 1:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjz-KtpHEQ[/ame]

Part 2:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqBeTD5CZk[/ame]

IrishLass :)

I already tried those canned big flaky biscuits!! It doesnt work well b/c the flaky layers peel/split apart while cooking and you get these thin not-donut-donuts... You might have better luck though if you pinch down the edges of each of the biscuits (so you smoosh all the layers together) so it doesnt split apart. I'll have to watch that video later maybe he explains how to do it perfect!

You guys are suuuch enablers. I'm gonna hit up publix and try this.

Last edited:
My aunt Mary used to have a diner in Maine, where all the food was homemade, including the donuts. When we would visit her, we'd stay in her apartment over the diner, and in the morning, she'd let me sit at the counter and order anything I wanted. I was the happiest kid in the world having chocolate milk and chocolate donuts for breakfast! And when she'd come to visit us, she'd always make donuts with my mom....and knit me a pair of mittens and sox to go skating. I can still taste those donuts, no store bought donut can compare. I can't make donuts......I live alone.....do you know what would happen??? LOL But thanks for bringing back the memories. :grin:

My aunt Mary used to have a diner in Maine, where all the food was homemade, including the donuts. When we would visit her, we'd stay in her apartment over the diner, and in the morning, she'd let me sit at the counter and order anything I wanted. . :grin:

OMG, Navigator, you were the luckiest kid in the world! I can just imagine the feeling of unlimited freedom and grownuped-ness ordering.

Ok, I'll see ya'lls Ebil, and raise you 2 Ebils

http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/boston-cream-donuts-/

Btw, this woman loves to cook, and she has the recipes right below the videos..I have made the cinnamon rolls, and they are to DIE for..I now want to make the pumpkin cookies....well pretty much everything she has on the site I want to make {except the squid/calamri...ick} :lol:

Ok, I'll see ya'lls Ebil, and raise you 2 Ebils

http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/boston-cream-donuts-/

Btw, this woman loves to cook, and she has the recipes right below the videos..I have made the cinnamon rolls, and they are to DIE for..I now want to make the pumpkin cookies....well pretty much everything she has on the site I want to make {except the squid/calamri...ick} :lol:

Ooh! The stakes are getting higher! lol I adore Laura Vitale! She's another one of my favorite cooks to watch on Youtube.

IrishLass :)

All these new chefs I have never heard of to go and check out recipes! So exciting! Although I despise Gordon Ramsay. Every time I see his arrogant face, I want to punch him. Regardless of how good his recipes are.

Yotam Ottolenghi is one of my favourite chefs and he has some really interesting recipes. His take on brownies here is fantastic

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/tahini-and-halva-brownies-shop

OMG, Navigator, you were the luckiest kid in the world! I can just imagine the feeling of unlimited freedom and grownuped-ness ordering.

Yes, I thought I'd found heaven, right there in Mary's Diner!

All these new chefs I have never heard of to go and check out recipes! So exciting! Although I despise Gordon Ramsay. Every time I see his arrogant face, I want to punch him. Regardless of how good his recipes are.

Yotam Ottolenghi is one of my favourite chefs and he has some really interesting recipes. His take on brownies here is fantastic

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/tahini-and-halva-brownies-shop

I recently bought Ottolenghi's book "Jerusalem". Haven't had time to try any of the recipes yet, but it's a joy just to read. OMG, those brownies have me salivating.

I have an unhealthy obsession with British/Scottish accents so I would be lying if I listened to the actual words he was saying as opposed to just listening to him :lol: (you can imagine what it was like for me when I lived in London some years back...)

Last edited:
Ooh! The stakes are getting higher! lol I adore Laura Vitale! She's another one of my favorite cooks to watch on Youtube:)

Yup, me too :) And I dont usually buy cookbooks {we have tons at my moms} but Im seriously thinking of buying hers..shes got tons of recipes on youtube, and my lappy is running out of room from downloading them hahaha

My husband took me to eat in the kitchen of his restaurant for my 30th birthday navigator. It was such a wonderful experience watching the chefs work and the food was out of this world!

Latest posts

Back