The Mysterious Gel Phase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkwindle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to soap making(obviously). I just wanted to say hi and ask for constructive criticism. I became interested in soap making a a few months ago and after a few attempts at soap making resulting in only partial gels :( I stopped trying. I decided to start again after about 6 months, try new things without worrying, and record everything. Here are my results with the basic cp soap(oo, coconut oil, palm) found in the Soap Crafting book by Anne-Maire. This time I soaped at about 47c and insulated my batch in a shoebox and towel. *I did not spray the top with alcohol. I live in South Korea(they only have Ethanol) which means I am limited to a lot of soap making tools and ingredients. I might just try Ethanol to prevent soda ash, but I'm curious to see if anyone else on here has tried it. Please let me know what you think or any advice you would like to suggest.

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

Well gel isn't want makes or breaks a soap. It looks like it almost fully gelled actually. Gel is just when temps heat the center enough to change the soap into a gel like appearance. Many people purposefully try and avoid gel by immediately freezing or refrigerating their soaps. I think your soap is lovely. I would worry less about the gel stage, however, if you're adament on gel occuring (you only like the look of gelled soap), then I think wood molds work the best at retaining heat. You can build one yourself if you're handy:) then insulate like you did this mold. I'm not sure on the ethanol, but I do know a little hot water steaming and a gentle rub with panty hose can clear off the ash (or so I've read). You can also buy or use a soap scraper and scrape the layer or ash off.
I wouldnt give up on soaping, looks like you got it down!

First, I have to say, you made some beautiful soap! Well done!

Gelled v/s un-gelled and soda ash are 2 things I stopped worrying about since neither affect the quality or safety of your soap. I usually insulate my molds unless I have a high sugar content from using honey, beer, wine, fruit or vegetable purees, etc. When I have sugar in my recipe I just lay a piece of cardboard over the top, leave the molded soap on the counter and walk away for 12-24 hours. I've also tried putting the molded soap in the fridge or freezer to prevent gel but still got partial gel. Now I let the soap decide if it's going to gel or not and just go with it. :razz:

I also tried spritzing the tops with alcohol to prevent soda ash. Never worked for me. Again, I let the soap decide. If the ash gets in the way of seeing a design, I wash it off with water and lightly scrub with pantyhose. If it's a soap with no color or design, I leave it be.

Have fun on your soaping journey!

As above, it is easier to remove ash rather than prevent it.

That said, ensuring a full gel might well help in reducing the ash. Looking at this soap, you do need to do more to keep it warm or even add in some heat. Do a search on this site for "oven process" and read about those who heat up the oven slightly and put the soap in there - just be careful what you use for a mould, though.

Congrats on your soap, it looks nice!

I am one of those soapers who loves gel. That being said, it's no requirement. I am surprised that wrapping the soap in a towel, you didn't get full gel. One option is to pre-heat your oven to be toasty warm - around 45-50c (so around 100 F), put your soap mold on a baking sheet, turn off the oven and put your soap in the warm oven.

Great job! It looks creamy and nice!

I also insulate my soaps unless I use sugar, alcohol, milk, honey, etc. I personally like gelled soap though.

I spray on the top of my soap with alcohol(91%) and it works for me. I am sure Ethanol will work because my Korean soapers told me so :). Good luck!

I find it helps to look at the top of the soap and see what it wants after putting it in the mold - if the gel pattern seems like its not reaching the edges, I cover and wrap a towel around it, maybe even move it closer to the floor heater if its cold. If its really warm and starting to look a bit like brains on the top I take the cover off and move it to a cooler place. I find it trickier with very thin walled molds that don't hold the heat - like your milk carton - because if you don't insulate the edges will always be cooler, which will matter for some recipes.

Stop worrying about ash - once your soap is done curing you can steam it off, or take your batch to the sink and give them all a little wash and scrub the ash away with an old pair of nylons or similar. Or embrace it as the signature of sweet handmade soap.

Your soap looks very nice to me :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and feed back. When I cut the soap into bars most of the center pieces had gelled all the way through :)

Thanks, I'll have to try the ethanol next time then! I just wasn't sure because everywhere I read about spraying the tops was like 91% ONLY.

Latest posts

Back