Un-ethical

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you not do some sort of copywriting ? Covering soap, color, scent, name, design, packaging, photo-time, date & location ON, etc ? And the poor music man's way ? Mail yourself 5+ separate envelopes with the above in them -- that stay sealed until a judge/lawyer opens them ?

I am clueless on this and am just asking...seems something on these lines should be legal enough & cheap enough for the future at least.

Carolyn, I'm really sorry this happened to you and your daughter. My daughter is an artist, and you wouldn't believe the infringement of creative license people with no ethics, no morals and no talent take. The development of the Internet has skyrocketed this issue, and the law isn't as caught up to technology as it needs be. That being said, I find a company that is overly positive regarding negative comments, and ratings patronizing and disingenuous.When things like this happen, I think Karma Karma Karma. You Better Believe I'd think twice on purchasing from them...do you know what I'm saying? :) Be Bonded as consumers to take our money elsewhere...right?!

Can you not do some sort of copywriting ? Covering soap, color, scent, name, design, packaging, photo-time, date & location ON, etc ? And the poor music man's way ? Mail yourself 5+ separate envelopes with the above in them -- that stay sealed until a judge/lawyer opens them ?

I am clueless on this and am just asking...seems something on these lines should be legal enough & cheap enough for the future at least.
We have done this with a couple of items. But lets face it Attorneys are very expensive so copywriting is really only going to scare the little guy. I simply quit purchasing from the company and have the satisfaction that they did not get the recipe to work like ours does. Theirs melts ours does not :D

I can't help but share a similar story. Lol. I just shared several beer soap pics using brambleberry's hash tag, soap share, received several likes from them, then a day or two later. What'ya know? A beer soap tutorial video on Instagram. I thought, how coincidental. Hahaa. Definitely made me question if I would be joining in on any contests again.

I can't imagine it can be legal to copy other people's works of art! Soap is in the category of applied arts, at least there is where it clearly belongs. If it is legal, you definately need some better copyright protection.

I see you have automatic copyright protection for certain things, like books. Instead of the Guild writing a letter to a copycat and calling what she did unethical and probably forget about it one week later, they should work hard with the government, congress, state or who is in charge to demand they give soapmakers automatic copyright protection of their works.

What, 2015! I did not see it before just now. This thread popped up in the side menu, so I thought it was a new one. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, this thread is 4 yrs old and nobody has posted here for that long. It will only popup in the side menu if it has been posted on. Just have a look before you post on the last post in that thread and the date is shown.

I can't imagine it can be legal to copy other people's works of art! Soap is in the category of applied arts, at least there is where it clearly belongs. If it is legal, you definately need some better copyright protection.

I see you have automatic copyright protection for certain things, like books. Instead of the Guild writing a letter to a copycat and calling what she did unethical and probably forget about it one week later, they should work hard with the government, congress, state or who is in charge to demand they give soapmakers automatic copyright protection of their works.

What, 2015! I did not see it before just now. This thread popped up in the side menu, so I thought it was a new one. Sorry.
I am still here, but my daughter has since closed her end of the business.

I thought it popped up in the side menu. But when I thought a little bit more about it, I actually had found it when reading some of the other undergroups than what I normally only look at, beginners and lye-based soapmaking forum. I did not add comment when I found out, because I didn't want to revive this thread even more. I should have checked the date, but when I discovered it was too late to delete my post. But now I have learned and hopefully will always check the date.

I'm glad you, Cmzaha, is still around here :) And I hope your daughter have not quit making soap after going out of business.

Back