Coffee soap (using ground coffee)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

Reaction score
Ok so after my recent (so far) success with my goatsmilk soap I thought I would keep going.

I want to make a coffee soap, now my plan was to use some ground coffee I have in the cupboard (the kind you use in a plunger), make it up as a coffee (add it to hot water) then into the freezer to turn it into a slushy then add the lye to it, and soap with it.

Heres the recipie I plan to use:
500g Tallow
250g coconut oil
250g olive oil

141g lye
375g water (coffee)

Now I was thinking of making the coffee strong say 2 tablespoons in about 300ml of water (then make the extra up with water) and not worry about filtering the grounds out to give an exfoliating soap.

What's others thoughts on this?

I make coffee soap as my kitchen soap, and it works well for removing odors like garlic, onions, and fish from my hands. I make it up with very strong cold coffee as the liquid in my lye solution and add coffee grounds at trace. What you're doing should also work. :)

Coffee Soap

I use espresso coffee as my liquid and add the same grounds that I used for the coffee and add after trace. I hope this helps you with the in put from the more experienced Soapers!

Gregory :D

Vanessa said:
Now I was thinking of making the coffee strong say 2 tablespoons in about 300ml of water (then make the extra up with water) and not worry about filtering the grounds out to give an exfoliating soap.

I usually just brew a triple strength pot of coffee, then measure from that for the full amount of liquid I need... rather than adding extra water. But I add the grounds to my oils, not the lye mixture. They are pretty scratchy which is good for hand soaps (kitchen, garage as mentioned) but may be a little TOO exfoliating IMO for a bath soap. So if that's what you want use sparingly.

I made up triple strength espresso machine coffee @ about 1/4 cup volume, then discount this amount from my water that I will add my lye to. Then I add this strong coffee at trace along with 1T fresh coffee grounds for 1000g oil batch. This is a shower soap not a kitchen soap, and I have had good reports from testers that it is not too scratchy on the skin with good exfoliation.

Tanya :)

Like everyone else here I make super strong coffee and I use it for my water, than I add fresh (unused) coffee grounds to my soap at trace. You'll want to be careful how many grounds you add as they are quite scrubby. I absolutely love my coffee / kitchen soap and it is always in my kitchen.....

Hi Gobblers Run, fancy indeed!!! the internet is such a small place :lol: I guess I'm not really surprised to see you're here, but I am surprised to see you aren't a forum expert :lol:

Your shop looks great but the way!! *claps* *hugs*

They look lovely and creamy - congratulations! It is interesting about the aroma. I made an 80% coconut oil/20% cocoa butter soap with no added scent and they really have no 'cocoa' smell.....until you lather it up in the shower and then I can smell a faint white choc aroma! So your coffee soap may do the same with the coffee smell.

Tanya :)

I have it in the spare room curing, and it does definitely smell of coffee when I walk in the room so I think it was just my nose being used to the smell when I was cutting it. Its not an over powering smell so I'm hoping it goes well.

I have a lemon grass soap I bought that is like that, until you lather it up you cant smell it.

gregory, i hadn't thought of recycling the grounds, instead of using new. i think i like that idea. less waste.

i was going to check into coffee eo, anyone tried or don't ya think it really matters. would be costly.

thanks,
renee

This thread inspired me to make some coffee soap for the kitchen. I didn't even use brewed coffee- I only added coffee grounds for deodorizing and scrubbiness. I just pulled it outta the mold and wowee! It reeks of coffee. I did use quite a bit of coffee, about a tbsp. per pound.. So as for the coffee EO, if you are looking for fragrance, I would guess the brewed coffee and some grounds would be enough! If the smell reduces when I lather up with the soap, I'll let you know, but right now Im doubting that will be the case.

I know this is an old thread, but how long did the smell last? I saw a comment on the blog from another user that it didn't smell like coffee for very long.

I know this is an old thread, but how long did the smell last? I saw a comment on the blog from another user that it didn't smell like coffee for very long.
This is a really old thread and the OP hasn't been here in a long time. Please don't pull up old threads (necroposting). You would be better off starting a new thread. Coffee smell doesn't hang around long.
Also, please go to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself and your experience/interests. Welcome!

Latest posts

Back