soap sizes- mold sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalziel

Reaction score
what is your average/normal size bar?

I want to make several molds for CP soap, I was thinking of 4" wide by 3" tall and 1" deep- per bar.

How long should I make the mold, 12 inches? that way i can get 12 bars at 1" each.

do you have average specs for a 1lb, 2lb and 4lb batch molds?

trying to minimize excess trimmings.

thanks!
Dalz

mine r 3 long 2 wide n 1 inch thick, soon too b 3 1/2 lond and the rest is the same

Hi Dalz - the boxes I've ordered are 2-3/4" x 1-1/4" x 3-3/4". Once I have them then I can figure out exactly what size is going to be best. I'm thinking 2 1/2" x 1" x 3 1/2".

Cheers

Round Bars

I've been making round bars shaped like hockey pucks. The manager at the local liquor store saves the cardboard tubes that scotch comes in for me. They are 3 1/2 inches in diameter and about 12 inches tall. (If you'd like to know how I prepare them as molds just ask.)

One tube will hold 36 ounces of CP soap (measured by total weight of oils used). I usually make a double batch (two tubes) because that is a good size for my KitchenAid to handle (which I use to continuously stir the soap until it traces.) 24 to 48 hours after pouring it into th emolds I peel the cardboard off, then cut the tubes of soap into 1 inch bars. The finished bars are about 4 1/2 ounches each.

Jaaret

Okay Jaaret - this would be me asking you how you prepare those molds. I'ld also like to see what you do for wrapping them as well.

Cheers

Cardboard Tubes as soap molds

I wish I had read your message earlier today because I just cut two tubes of soap this evening and would have taken pictures to demonstrate how I do it. Next time...

Okay, here is what I do to prepare the cardboard tubes. First, I take the empty cardboard tubes (used to package scotch - I get them from the local liquor store) and saw off the bottoms with a hack saw. (Takes about 45 seconds per tube).

Then I cut squares of parchment paper to fit the tubes: an 11 1/2 in square piece is perfect. (About 90 seconds per square.)

I then put the squares of parchment into the tube, smooth it out so that it fits, and secure the ends with Scotch tape. It's a little tricky because even tape has a hard time adhering so parchment. Once the ends are secured I seal the seam with a long strip of tape. I put one end on a wood spoon and feed it through the tube, When I have both ends in my hands I can carefully start at one end and secure the tape over the seam. I use the wooden spoon to burnish the tape down over the seam on the inside of the tube. (About 90 seconds per tube.)

While I'm doing this I'm melting parafin in the top of a double boiler. When the was is melted I pour about a quarter inch into the bottoms of round, Pyrex 10 oz. dishes, then insert one end of the lined cardboard tube into the wax. The 10 oz. dishes fit the cardboard tubes perfectly and, once the wax has melted, the glass dishes provide stable base that keeps the tubes upright. (About 30 seonds per tube.)

When my soap is at trace I pour it directly into the tubes, then cover each tube with foil.

24-48 hours later, I make a small slit in the top of each cardboard tube and start peeling it back. The cardboard tubes have a spiral seam and, once you find that, the cardboard peels off easly. If the soap is still a bit soft I set it aside to cure for another 24 hours before cutting it into bars. Cutting is pretty straight forward: I lay a metal ruler on each tube of soap and score it lightly at 1 inch intervals as a guide. Then I cut the bars using a chef's knife. I keep of large pot of near-boiling water on the stove to dip the knife into after each cut. This keeps the blade clean and the knife, when kept hot, cuts the 3 1/4 inch tubes of soap more easily.

The Pyrex dishes are re-usable, as are the discs of wax left over after the cardboard is peeled away. (I wash the wax discs thoroughly in cold water, then set them aside until I'm ready to prepare more molds.) I get the cardboard tubes for free so it's a very economical set up.

As for packaging, I will take pictures of that tonight to show you exactly what I do.

Jaaret.

My pvc molds are all 12". I would NOT go any longer than that, 'cause I think it'd be pretty hard getting the soap out.

I like your mold method jarret.

I may go the pvc route, how hard is it to push the soap out?

Latest posts

Back