Calling All Gluten Experts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100%Natural

Reaction score
I recently have been asked if my products are gluten free and I'm not entirely sure if they are or they aren't.

Can anyone tell me if these ingredients are gluten free by chance?

Olive Oil
Almond Oil
Shea Butter
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Avocado Oil
Apricot Kernel Oil

If you are adding beer to your soaps, you have gluten. Gluten is a part of some grains such as wheat and barley. You might also have gluten in yogurt as it is used as an additive. In some cases if the same machinery is used for processing such as for oatmeal, so there could be traces of gluten.

http://www.whatcontainsgluten.com/2009/04/list-of-foods-containing-gluten.html

BTW gluten can NOT be absorbed through the skin. It should be avoided by those who are sensitive in the lip products they use as well as toothpaste, etc. But soap is not generally eaten. :)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/AN01623

Last edited:
Thanks Ruthie!

I'm only asking for a few customer's sake. Apparently there are some that believe you need to have gluten free even for body products.

Something else to keep in mind, gluten is airborne in environments where baking with non-gluten-free flours occurs. Unless your soap-production area is in a controlled gluten-free environment, it wouldn't be right to claim your soap is gluten free. Then again, like Ruthie mentionend, as long as people aren't eating your soap, it shouldn't be an issue.

Oats may also contain gluten if they are cross-contaminated during processing. If you want to make a gluten free OMH soap, you'll need to buy oats specifically labeled gluten free.

The oils you have listed are all gluten-free, but as others have said, it takes more than that to call a product gluten-free. We can't call ANYTHING made in our bakery gluten-free, even the gelato, because there is the danger of cross-contamination with gluten-containing products.

BTW gluten can NOT be absorbed through the skin. It should be avoided by those who are sensitive in the lip products they use as well as toothpaste, etc. But soap is not generally eaten. :)

While this is very true, my step-brother has a severe gluten allergy and I would be very wary of giving him a soap that contained any gluten. If he uses the soap, there could be traces of gluten on his hands, his hands go in his mouth…follow me?

BUT…I wouldn't worry about a soap that didn't contain gluten products, but was made in a non-gluten free facility. I don't think that there could be enough traces on the soap, that would go on his hands, then in his mouth that could bother him.

If it were me, I would just tell the customer, it does/does not contain gluten products and was/was not made in a gluten free facility. The rest is up to them.

p.s. >>The oils you listed are gluten free :)

Latest posts

Back