Questions re: tomato powder and milk powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjfan74

Reaction score
Tonight I want to make a batch of tomato bisque themed soap (or soup, or both sound good right now actually...) In any case, I had a couple of questions.
1. Tomato powder - any ideas on how much I should add per pound and should I add it to the oils before the lye or once I get the lye and oils mixed well but before trace.
2. Buttermilk powder - same questions actually...when I use milk in soaps I usually use the frozen milk method and add my lye to that. Tonigh, I would like to add buttermilk powder instead...so how much can/ should I add per pound and again, at what point in the process is best to add milk powder? Or should I mix the milk powder with water and add it that way?

Thanks for any guidance!

When I use buttermilk powder, or any milk powder, I mix it (SB) with my oils before adding my lye water. I soap close to room temp, don't gel, and never had a problem. In fact it's my preferred method. Only wish I could find more milk powders besides regular milk, goats, buttermilk. Sometimes I mix the milk powders with yogurt before adding to the oils and then SB. SB is very important before adding the lye water.

Shannon, have you tried yogurt powder? I was just looking at it on Amazon. Celine says she mixes goat milk powder and buttermilk powder with yogurt, but I never caught whether the yogurt she uses is yogurt powder or not.

Back