New soap maker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micawber999

Reaction score
I am just starting out making soap and was going to purchase a lot of EO's. Can anyone tell me if they last a good while or not. thank you

Depends on how much you use and quality of the EOs. But typically yes.
Citrus type EOs have been known to fade, some almost completely. They say using kaolin clay in the soap helps anchor the scent though.

The quality makes a big difference. I just returned to soapmaking and have EOs that are 10+ years old and still good. And some that did not age well at all. IMO companies whose prices are significantly lower are suspect, since likely they cut them with another oil.

If you want your EOs to last, you need to keep them in a cool dark place in dark glass bottles (Some companies ship in hard plastic bottles for larger amounts and expect you to transfer them). You don't want them to evaporate or oxidize, so sunlight and air are no-no's. If stored properly, they can last years.

In soapmaking, the best way to make EOs scent last is to blend them in the "trinity method": a base, middle, and top note. As mentioned above, some believe clays or salt help anchor the scent. Storing your soap in a cool dry place with the different scents separated (like in lined cardboard boxes) is a good idea also.

Latest posts

Back