CP Oven Process Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Reaction score
Having great luck with olive CP OP. Can't believe how great the stuff is. Been making soap for two weeks and neighbors want to buy it. One guy swears it healed his years-long skin problem. So....

Using Crafters Choice Honeysuckle fragrance oil (.5 oz total in 3 pound batch - bottle says safe for skin, etc.) will this need to sit a few more weeks after the OP? (4 hours, then sit overnight in the oven, 170 degrees.) Seems like I feel a slight itch/burn when using it after a day. Also, I was using a premixed base oil. It seems like when I add scents, even at tiny levels, I mean, TINY, the soap just feels different. The unscented ones are all okay and feel great. Any tips? Do I need a couple of weeks "sit" time to tame the beast?

Soap is best used after a good cure whether it be CP or HP. Technically, a day after HPing a soap it should be okay to use. However, your soap sounds lye heavy if its itchy/burning. Have you zapped tested it?

Sidenote: It takes a lot of practice, research, and time before you can even think about selling your soap. Especially if the batch you just made is lye heavy. And the FO concentration your using isn't very high.

Yeah, no zap. No burn on tongue or anything. Just yucky soap taste, like when mom, well, you know.... I did Soap calc. 30% water, 6% superfat. .5 fragrance total. 48 oz oil, 14.4 oz water, 6.7 lye. Maybe its all in my head. If it was lye heavy, it would have singed my tongue, right? But the two olive batches were perfect when soap calc was used. Seems like at soap calcs 38% water and OP ends up spongy. Thanks for reply!

right - it'd have zapped if it was lye heavy - assuming there aren't pockets of lye liquid or local areas that are more lye heavy than others. if you see areas that look different, test those!

also, soaps do mellow during the cure.

funny. When you are new you are so afraid to over-lye. Also, when you consider that you are trying your soaps out a lot, you may over do it. I think it may have been the cold cold water, and hard toweling. My wife used the soap, no problem. Missionpeak looked at my recipe and said I probably, if anything under-lyed.

Over-lye. Under-lye. Hmmm. Thanks for the reply! Best to you!

It could just be that fo is a problem for you. I can't use fragrance oil, but the rest of my family can. So a soap that can give me a reaction is fine for them.

If you are hot processing- that is a little more forgiving on the lye amounts. Not by much but you can save a batch if you realize you mismeasured the lye- usually those batches take forever to cook where a normal batch at least mine will cook in about an hour and 15 minutes in the oven.

I have to agree that you are using a low amount of fragrance- potential customers (when you get more experience) :) may get mad if they can't smell your soap.

Also, it sounds like you may be sensitive if your soap doesn't zap to the FO.

Since you are so new- I would check out Phenolpthalein- that way you can know for sure that your soap is neutral- HP can be tricky sometimes and can be hard to tell. I always use the Phenol to err on the side of caution.

Just to clarify- are you doing in the mold oven process or are you doing HP- cooking your soap in a pot and then scenting and molding when neutral?

Latest posts

Back