Soap store

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
So a cute little soap shop just opened up near me, and I went in to check it out.. She does all natural soap and I bought a bar. It's just palm, olive and coconut and it feels reeeeaaaaally nice. I wanted to try to make it just using those oils too and have just as nice a bar. It was really bubbly, yet super conditioning too...and hard. How did they pull that off?

The palm and the coconut oil contribute to the lather, as well as the hardness. The olive oil is conditioning. Olive oil soaps are super hard too. I wonder what the superfat content of the soap you got is?

I just ran it in soapcalc and even just dividing those 3 evenly in thirds seems to produce a pretty good bar.
If you rais the Palm and coconut to 40% each and drop the olive to 20% you get a harder more bubbly bar. Or you could just add some honey or sugar of some sort for more bubbles and salt for hardness.

I ran it through soap maker
12oz CO
12oz PO
24oz OO
Gives you a 6.2 for hardness
4.9 fluffy lather
5.9 stable lather
6.4 moisturizing
If you added a little sugar and silk , pretty nice bar .
I did it in thirds too but the numbers weren't quite as good.

Kitn

Let us know how it goes , I kind of want to try it too for some strange reason :shock:

Kitn

i use these 3 together all the time, 9 oz of each and 3 oz castor, love it!

at 50% olive oil you will do better to let it cure 6+ weeks. even longer is better.

but all in all, nice formula.

I was pretty impressed. Her soap is really nice. Just goes to show, you don't need 50,000 oils to make a nice soap. :)

In the thread that I started last week some time about simplifying my recipe, I ended up going with a 50% OO, 25% CO, 25% PALM. Still curing but we'll see how it goes. I upped the oo for the conditioning. I too have tried soap with just those three ingredients by a well known aussie soaper, and it's really really really lovely soap.
I guess that's why they are the "holy grail" oils!!

Most of my soaps are from simple recipes because I don't sell and can't justify the extra expence. I do have some shea butter, cocoa butter, and castor, but I don't use them in every recipe, and rarely more than one butter in a recipe.

My most basic recipe is 50% lard, 40% olive, and 10% coconut (because I can't use high coconut). It's a great soap with creamy lather and doesn't leave me feeling dry and itchy. :D

The first soap I ever made was with those oils (like many other people) I used 19% palm, 33% coconut & 48% olive. It made nice soap.

Kitn said:
I just made a tomato basil with the recipe , will see how it turns out.

Kitn

Oh cool...I'm dying to know. I didnt get to mine yet....so busy today with 50,000,000 other things...ugh.

It is a very nice soap , I did a 6% superfat .It has a great creamy, bubbly lather , feels great on the hands , of course I added my 3 top secret ingredients :wink: .

Kitn

Latest posts

Back