What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally managed to get soaps made today or I guess I should say yesterday. I made Cherry Almond, A Salty Air Grapefruit, with Grapefruit EO, Lime EO, and Salty Sea Air FO, it smells divine. I also made a White Tea & Ginger, Creamy Vanilla, Big Sur, Teakwood and Cardamon, Lavender, Snow Drop with peppermint and Plumeria. Figured this was my last shot at restocking for Christmas, since I am back to the parents tomorrow. Love it I stay 42 days and my sister stays 20 days. Not sure how that works. Going to try to get a couple more done today

I made some frankincense soap for the first time. I used turmeric to get a darkish colour and in the mould it looks great with a little dusting of gold mica. Hope it looks great tomorrow when I unmould and cut it! Smells really blokish I think but interesting : )

Made my first gradient soap and it didn’t come out the way I wanted it to. I even had enough for another layer left over so put that in another mold. The batter was so thick that it was hard to get the layers even when I would bang it on the floor after each layer. And didn’t save enough for the top. Oh well live and learn......will definitely try again

F81EA0A2-A381-414A-80AA-A5921C44E42C.jpg

Made my first gradient soap and it didn’t come out the way I wanted it to. I even had enough for another layer left over so put that in another mold. The batter was so thick that it was hard to get the layers even when I would bang it on the floor after each layer. And didn’t save enough for the top. Oh well live and learn......will definitely try again

It's upside down! How did that happen?? :headbanging:

Today I cut the soap I made Sunday. It didn't turn out like I had envisioned. The translucent part is supposed to be crystal clear MP with a sparkling mica in it. My swirls (plain soap batter, white, light blue & medium blue) are almost undetectable and the Heather fragrance I used started smelling like fresh cut roses as soon as I mixed it into the soap. It didn't smell like that oob. I like my top. Not bad for my first try with a fondant mat.IMG_20170924_210049.jpgIMG_20170924_210034.jpgIMG_20170925_185950.jpg

Such pretty swirly colors, toxikon!

I got the biggest jug I could find that had the right no drip pour spout of laundry detergent that I could stand the smell of. Found a gigantic jug of free n gentle with the right configuration, so yay! Did double check that it's #2 HDPE. Soon as I get it emptied I'll clean out the jug and keep it for masterbatching lye solution.

I got my fun molds today! Two sizes of ice cream scoops, snowflakes, mustaches, shells, and puppy paw prints. The small ice cream scoops, snowflakes and mustaches look like they'll make nice guest size soaps, the others will be pretty close to full bar size in weight. I also found a silicone 3-d baking pan I've got, shaped like a d20 with the 20 on top (naturally). I'm going to try it out with soap. Figure if it seals well enough for cake batter (and it does, I've baked with it a couple of times and no leaks), it should be well enough for soap batter. Soaps out of it will be about 3 inches in diameter, in any direction.

I might, depending on how I feel later (still pretty stiff from building a kitchen island cart yesterday) make one or two batches of soap tonight. I want to take another swing at a Serenity type soap, with the firefly mica and pink lotus EO blend and maybe make one pretty enough for gifting. Also plan on trying out orange peel wax in soap, and I'm thinking I'll try out of my new molds at the same time. See just how many little ice cream scoops a 500g batch of soap will make. I occurs to me that I should make a little soap stamp that's a simplified outline of Serenity (the ship) to use with soaps I make with this EO blend and mica.

Since I was thinking about it, I went through and updated notes in my binder, especially since I've got several test batches curing. It's not going to take me all that long to fill this first one at this rate.

Last edited:
Haha I know right! Those little silicone molds are all over the place. I buy mine from AliExpress. How can you resist them when they're only a couple bucks each!

Yep, so tempting. I have gotten a bunch from eBay for less that 50 cents. I bid "knowing" that I am not going to win, and then surprised! Sometimes I even feel guilty. The shipping has to be more than what I paid :shock:

Today I made another batch for my fair. !!!

Not sure if I will make one more, I am so afraid not to sell all of it, and end it with too much!

Today's mind benders: 1) how should I display my soap for next year's state fair? 2) should I switch my online selling platform from my domain to Etsy?

Other news... My 9 year old daughter is in love with soap dough. She has been dreaming up cupcake toppers for me to use.0926172113.jpg Her latest creations for ocean themed cupcakes. Up next: flamingos.... But we can't decide what they would smell like...

Chela your soap is beautiful, it looks like the sea to me. And I ad a similar problem with a picture, and it was the right alignment when I uploaded it, and still cannot figure out what happened. So you are not alone. Maybe is the position of the phone when we took the picture? That or the are gremlins in the forum! :crazy:

Toxicon your soap is always so beautiful.

And that mat is awesome.

Latest posts

Back