Live from SoapCon 2017....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent a wonderful day of listening to and learning from Zahida Map (Handmade in Florida), Jackie Thompson (author of "Liquid Soapmaking: Tips, Techniques, and Recipes for Creating All Manner of Liquid and Soft Soap Naturally!"), and Dr. Kevin Dunn ("Scientific Soapmaking"). I'm waiting for my brain to explode from all the information I've gleaned so far, and tomorrow is another day! On the schedule tomorrow is Beth Byrne (Lotions and Creams), and Carrie Thornsbury of Nurture Soap Supplies (Mica and Color).

This is such a well put-together event in a great venue. Best of all, it a relatively small group (I'd say about 100 people), so there is really a chance to interact and ask questions. Just sharing info with other soapers has made it worth the trip, and the vendors have been generous with the things they've given us in our "swag bags".

Congrats to Catherine McGinnis (The Soap Deli) on a beautiful event! It's obvious that you've put a lot of time and thought into planning.

How about a pic.gif

Jewels it was so wonderful meeting you and Earlene. I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with the both of you. Lots to do and keep track of. Zany, I had full intentions to take pictures this year, but probably would have lost my camera/phone.

The group size was very close to 100. I thought it was perfect group size. All of the speakers were very approachable and they loved being there with everyone.

Zahida from Handmade in Florida is gorgeous!! A brunette with large brown mysterious eyes and a wonderful teacher. I think I can even master the elusive butterfly swirl. Kevin Dunn, Jackie Thompson and Beth Byrne were wonderful as always. But what about our own Cosmo - Carrie from Nurture Soap!!!! You have thought that she had been presenting forever. She did such a great job - I hope the Guild is smart enough to ask that she speak in Atlanta next year. She presented coloring info that even the most experienced soapers had not heard before, and made the FDA regs regarding colorants more understandable.

I look forward meeting with Cathy in a few weeks after we both decompress to begin planning for next year. I got home Monday at 6:00pm and slept for about 10 hours. I love SoapCon, and would jump off of a roof for Cathy McGinnis, but boy do I love being home with my husband and my boy Jeepster (cat).

I have returned home. I spent an extra night on the road because the Fabulous workshop that Carrie Thornsbury did lasted longer than I had previously realized. For some reason I thought it was only going to be 2 hours, but it was 4+ hours with lunch provided, which so much a pleasant surprise. It was such a wonderful workshop!

Meeting Cindy and Jules was so much fun. I missed others who were coming and don't know if they came and we just missed each other, or other events kept them away. But it was a great event and loads of fun!

AND for those who knew, I FOUND my GPS! I thought I'd lost her and was on my way to a Best Buy to buy a replacement, when it occurred to me that in my 45 minute search that morning, that I had not looked in one particular bag. As it happens, I had taken that bag out of the trunk of my car because I don't like leaving anything in my car overnight in case someone breaks into it and steals stuff, but since all I did was move it from car to motel room and back again, I did not think I needed to look for the GPS in that bag. Well, what do you know, that's exactly where it was. I always put it in my purse before I get out of the car, but not this time! So super happy to find her and no worries about dealing with loss of all my favorites.

Glad you found her Earlene. I still remember the home health care days before GPS - I'd call for directions (rural NC) and I would get "You know that ol Dr. Pepper sign off the highway? - we are just a spell down the road from there' 'Wilson on the mailbox". Of course there are 5 Wilson mailboxes on the road...... Fortunately all of the same family so I'd eventually find my way.

Glad you had a great time

But what about our own Cosmo - Carrie from Nurture Soap!!!! You have thought that she had been presenting forever. She did such a great job - I hope the Guild is smart enough to ask that she speak in Atlanta next year.

This sounds like so much fun, I wish I could've been there.

Am I reading this correct that it's going to be in Atlanta next year?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that Mighty Molds was there, and I had a couple of great conversations with Joey's son and another employee of the MM team. One of the ladies at my table won one of the modular molds and I have to say how envious I was that she did. But I did get a complimentary tester mold as a gift from Joey's son. (Sorry, I forgot his name, and don't have his card handy at the moment.) Anyway, I will be using the testor mold soon with some of my mica colors of my own design (thanks to Carrie for the workshop!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back