~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Lye Only?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #31
SunWolf

Liked 246 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz-juzz View Post
/snip
If you use dishes after they had lemon juice and vinegar in them, why wouldn't you use one that had lye water in it? /snip
Because lemon juice and vinegar won't start burning my flesh within minutes like lye will???

Seriously though, I do use separate utensils for soaping and cooking. All my soaping tools that aren't stainless or glass, are RED...thank you Betty Crocker.

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
BrewerGeorge

Liked 1387 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWolf View Post
Seriously though, I do use separate utensils for soaping and cooking. All my soaping tools that aren't stainless or glass, are RED...thank you Betty Crocker.
LOL. My soaping stuff a a radioactive-looking green for the same reason.

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #33
fuzz-juzz

Liked 473 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWolf View Post
Because lemon juice and vinegar won't start burning my flesh within minutes like lye will???

Lye water doesn't burn your flesh off, it reacts with fats on your skin in your tissues, essentially making soap. That's the sliminess you feel when washing of raw soap. It happened to me, and guess what, still alive and no marks left on my arms and hands.

All I'm saying is, it's on the opposite side of what we are dealing off on a daily basis. It's not a poison per se, it's just a specific type of chemical compound that, if treated with respect and care, cannot cause any serious damage to anything or anyone. It's fear of it that does.
NAOH is a strong base that completely disassociate in water, more water, more dissolved. There's none left on the dish after it's been rinsed few times over. Unless it's not stirred or dissolved properly and it will cake at the bottom of the dish.

And on the other hand, you wouldn't feel to well after drinking glass of lemon juice or vinegar, would you?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 AM   #34
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7642 Times on 4222 Posts
Likes Given: 15903

I am far more concerned about left over oils and FOs than NaOH or KOH. They react with air and moisture so quickly.
fuzz-juzz Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 AM   #35
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8065 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 3772

On the plate topic, after a time lye reacts just by being exposed to our atmosphere and will turn in to sodium carbonate- perfectly non-skin devouring. Any small amounts left on anything would not be lye any more after a short time

Old 06-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #36
fuzz-juzz

Liked 473 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Yes to oils on everything
I find myself washing soaping dishes again before use again. It's so hard to clean them after raw batter.
I can't let it sit around as I soap in the kitchen and have very nosy kids and cats.