I got a dog!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Chi. She hates the cold. She came from North Carolina. She also hates sweaters but tolerates them in the winter since it gets so cold. We plow our patio so she has somewhere to potty but also leave puppy pads in the utility room Just in case. She's housebroken bit really dislikes the cold.

I see you're in Michigan, so yes, we're talking about the same kind of cold, bitter, snow in your face, howling wind cold. (at times) Those are the kind of days that I'm wondering about. I go out with a coat and a scarf and a hat and mittens and boots and I'm still cold, so I can just imagine weighing eight pounds, and having a short coat of hair, and bare feet and having to go outside. I'm hoping that he'll be OK with it, but I will certainly understand if he's not. We'll take it one day at a time. And I hope he likes his coat and sweater. I keep my house relatively cool in winter, so I thought he might prefer to wear something cozy, even in the house. We'll see. He may just be some kind of rough and tumble little scrapper who likes to go out in any weather, and thinks sweaters are silly. Who knows? I can't wait to find out. :confused:

I see you're in Michigan, so yes, we're talking about the same kind of cold, bitter, snow in your face, howling wind cold. (at times) Those are the kind of days that I'm wondering about. I go out with a coat and a scarf and a hat and mittens and boots and I'm still cold, so I can just imagine weighing eight pounds, and having a short coat of hair, and bare feet and having to go outside. I'm hoping that he'll be OK with it, but I will certainly understand if he's not. We'll take it one day at a time. And I hope he likes his coat and sweater. I keep my house relatively cool in winter, so I thought he might prefer to wear something cozy, even in the house. We'll see. He may just be some kind of rough and tumble little scrapper who likes to go out in any weather, and thinks sweaters are silly. Who knows? I can't wait to find out. :confused:

I love your excitement. It makes me smile! You'll be a great mommy to him.

Congrats on the dog! He's adorable. That's exciting. All of my dogs have been rescues. With the exception of Shredder, who I rescued/adopted as a puppy from a neighbor along with her litter mates, I've kept the original names of the older rescued dogs. It is pretty traumatic for the dog (and cat) to go into a new environment with strange smells, sounds, people and "rules" to get used to. Adding a new name into the mix is especially difficult and confusing. When I took Max in, I had no idea what his name was, so I referred to him as "Buddy" and that's what his name became. However, I eventually found out his name evil owner called him Max. He had his back to me, I called "Buddy" and he ignored me. I called "Max" and he turned around and ran to me. He's been Max ever since.

Obviously, do what you feel is best for you. But if you decide to change his name, please gradually introduce his new name to him. Check with a trainer or veterinarian about how to do the name switch easier with less stress for the dog.

We just scrape a path on the patio and a spot on the grass for our chi. She hates the cold, but she'll still go outside to potty. And then come right back in and snuggle on my lap for warmth!

Oh, and one more thing you might want to get is a harness. These tiny dogs have fragile necks, and a regular collar can harm them.

When I forget the harness, especially if she pulls on the collar, she coughs for about a week afterwards.

Oh, and one more thing you might want to get is a harness. These tiny dogs have fragile necks, and a regular collar can harm them.

When I forget the harness, especially if she pulls on the collar, she coughs for about a week afterwards.

That's a great idea for all dogs. Great suggestion.

Navigator why i thought it is going to be huge dog.
World is good , when people adopt and treat well animals:)) It make me very happy !

Obviously, do what you feel is best for you. But if you decide to change his name, please gradually introduce his new name to him. Check with a trainer or veterinarian about how to do the name switch easier with less stress for the dog.

Teresa, I've been reading everything I can about adoption, and so far, what I've read said it should be no problem, but I will not do it from day one, and I will keep an eye out for any indications of stress.

We just scrape a path on the patio and a spot on the grass for our chi. She hates the cold, but she'll still go outside to potty. And then come right back in and snuggle on my lap for warmth!

That's reassuring, thanks!

Yes, I've read about their little necks, and I'm awaiting the arrival of his harness, along with all the other goodies I've ordered. For such a little guy, he's gonna have a lot of stuff!

Navigator why i thought it is going to be huge dog.
World is good , when people adopt and treat well animals:)) It make me very happy !

Dahila, it's funny, for years I've planned on getting a dog when I retired, and I never imagined that it would be a little dog. Then I fell in love with my girlfriend's daughter's Boston terriers. They're a big dog in a little dog's body. Very spunky. So I started to reconsider smaller dogs, especially in light of the fact that I'm getting older, and at some point, if I were dealing with an aging dog, I might have to carry it...well, I thought that a small dog might be the answer. And of course, all you have to do is look in their little faces, and you just fall in love! But I'm still not attracted to those fluffy little dogs with bows in their hair. This guy will not be wearing bows. A jacket, and maybe some boots.........but NO bows! LOL

I am the big dogs person but my daughter got a dog small one mixe of coker spaniel nad something else, he is cute and I fall in love at the first sight even he is small , the size of jjack russel terrier:)

I was excited to click on this thread hoping there would be a picture of the little pup-pup, please post one when the furkid arrives!

Latest posts

Back