Can you help me troubleshoot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an independent supplier here in CA. He is very knowledgeable since he not only sells supplies he manufactures candles. I bet if you send him an email and pic. I know he also makes up beginning candle making kits. I think he would be a better supplier than hobby lobby and ships quickly. I get several of my fo's from John. http://calcandlesupply.com/about-us/

BTW, I do not make candles, they are just to pesky in my opinion

This is an independent supplier here in CA. He is very knowledgeable since he not only sells supplies he manufactures candles. I bet if you send him an email and pic. I know he also makes up beginning candle making kits. I think he would be a better supplier than hobby lobby and ships quickly. I get several of my fo's from John. http://calcandlesupply.com/about-us/

BTW, I do not make candles, they are just to pesky in my opinion

Thank you! I was on his site the other day looking at coconut wax. That looks super interesting, too. I'll email him. I've only been using hobby lobby stuff because I was too impatient to wait for things to ship : )

Stacyspy - Do you think I can get away with one wood wick in this 3" wide container? Any specific size/brand you'd recommend I start with that works well with soy? I found a few on amazon but they don't have great reviews.

I get my wicks ( and some FOs) from VA Candle Supply. I've always had good luck with them. They also have a store on ebay. There are different widths of them, and in the description it tells you which size candles that wick will work for.

I get my wicks ( and some FOs) from VA Candle Supply. I've always had good luck with them. They also have a store on ebay. There are different widths of them, and in the description it tells you which size candles that wick will work for.

Thanks!

The bumpy top is the way soy sets up.

Do NOT use 2 wicks in a 3" tin. You are not looking for a full melt pool when you first start burning the candle. You are looking for the hangup on the sides to be gone by the time you get to the bottom of the candle.

This is especially the case with tins. They burn really hot when they get close to the bottom. Sometimes wicks that you aren't sure are big enough end up being too big once you get to that point. Just find a wick size that gets you there. Definitely don't double wick.

Trust me, I have over 6000 posts on the CraftServer forum, which used to be called Candletech.

I made an unscented one last night with 10% beeswax. This one pulled away from the edges of the tin a bit, which it didn't do with the EOs in there. I used the same two wicks as the last version, but spaced them out a little more. This has been burning for about 45min, so it looks like the wicks are the problem?

I ordered a couple sizes of wood wicks and am excited to try those! While browsing around, I stumbled across these round wood wicks, which look super cool! http://www.woodcandlewick.com/#woodtubewicks I didn't order them due to the 100 wick minimum. Although, at the rate I'm going trying to figure this out, I could probably use them all!

I did notice a bigger pool toward the bottom of the tin, but still not to the edge. Hopefully the wood wick will work!

candle3.jpg

This is probably not the answer, but remember drafty rooms will also have an effect on burning candles. We now have a successful candle biz, but are still learning new things every day!

This is probably not the answer, but remember drafty rooms will also have an effect on burning candles. We now have a successful candle biz, but are still learning new things every day!

I really had no idea it would be this difficult. I had fewer issues learning how to make soap, and my first batch was a hot process goat milk soap!

No drafts, so that's not it. My new wicks have shipped. Waiting impatiently...

Success! Almost. I think.

I ordered the biggest wood wicks I could find and I may have overdone it. After 30 min, nearly the whole top has melted and there's a bit of smoke (not sure if that's normal for wood wicks). But I'm getting a nice big flame, the scent seems stronger, and the little crackling noise is the cutest thing ever! I giggle every time I walk by it.

I also ordered one size down, so I'll give that a try next, but overall I'm excited to have a working candle. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

candle4.jpg

Just read over your posts. It is the wick. Been candling for 10 years - use essential oils in my spa line - It is your wick. BUT - so glad you found wood wicks and are enjoying them!!! Anything to make us giggle is GOOD! ;-)
Making the perfect soy candle takes time, patience, and a lot of testing.
Enjoy!

Candles looks very pretty but the wick is too small, i would say great attempt. Keep up the good work

Back