swirling in MP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunshineGirl

Reaction score
hello, quick question. im really starting to come into my own with the MP. I havent done cp soap but i LOVE the swirls that you can do in cp soap. i was wondering can we do the same in MP.

IMO, no. There are people who make incredibly beautiful MP soaps, but it is really hard to get CP-like swirls in MP, that is one of the reasons I do both now. Although now that I am doing CP I am enjoying the whole process/exploring ingredients, etc. more than I did w/MP, I think, there are both more variables and yet more importance in the basics. I don't know though, I guess all soapmaking is just fun.

That being said, two of my favorites that do mp swirls that I could never duplicate, one big company and one etsy seller:

http://attirance.com/en/product/vannai-4/medus-kafija-sokolade-kokoss-127/54-35

https://www.etsy.com/shop/desertsoapstone/sold?ref=shopinfo_sales_leftnav

It's possible, but incredibly hard to swirl in M&P. I've succeeded in it a few times but it was like swirling through cement. :) (If you are interested check my photo's.)
This is one of the reasons I am currently finishing my M&P supplies and moving to CP. :D

It's about the equivalent to a super fast tracing recipe for me. At normal pouring temps the base is too thin; as you wait for it to cool, there is a tiny window of opportunity before it develops it's skin. I've given up in MP because I can't consistently reproduce.

Ah thanks! That's why M&P makes such pretty geometrical patterns. Makes sense.

It's not impossible if you use lsg's method. I do it fairly frequently but you have to watch the temp and be careful not to overstir. It is nothing like CP swirling and if I haven't made MP in some time I lose the knack and do ridiculous things that end in failure. (Ask me about my attempted spider webs! OR better yet, don't.
These are turkish mocha and orange.

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 10.47.51 PM.png

Back