Sat bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read a few things on here about calculating the fat in coconut milk, can't remember where exactly... sorry... But somebody (I think Obsidian, apologies if I'm wrong) says they drop their SF by 5% to account for the coconut milk... so a salt bar, usually with a 20% SF, they calculate 15% and add in CM as part (or all) of the liquid.
I've made salt bar with avocado oil and I love it. Might try olive and lard next, just to see... I have coconut milk but hadn't thought of using it in a salt bar!

I've read a few things on here about calculating the fat in coconut milk, can't remember where exactly... sorry... But somebody (I think Obsidian, apologies if I'm wrong) says they drop their SF by 5% to account for the coconut milk... so a salt bar, usually with a 20% SF, they calculate 15% and add in CM as part (or all) of the liquid.
I've made salt bar with avocado oil and I love it. Might try olive and lard next, just to see... I have coconut milk but hadn't thought of using it in a salt bar!

I also have a vague memory of that.

Use Soap Calc
See Attachment

Wait wait what? You can calculate the entire volume of coconut milk as 92 deg coconut oil? What about the water in the milk?

Coconut milk is about 71% water
Can of CM is 14 oz. 14 X .71 = 10 oz
96 oz oils x 31% water : oil = 29.76 oz water.
29.76 x 3 cans - 30 oz wt of water. Close enough!

I do what Nevada does. I've noticed different brands of coconut milk have hugely varying fat contents, so it pays to check the nutrition labels and work off them. In one recipe, the coconut milk I used contributed about 20% of the total coconut oil in my recipe. Other brands I checked had a lower fat content.

Salt bar recipes are some of the easiest, I like 80% coconut oil, 80% oil weight of salt, and 20% superfat. The rest you can do as you like.

My first salt bar was 80% coconut oil, 15% shea and 5% castor, with 20% superfat and 80% of the weight of oils as salt. I did a gradient with turmeric as the coloring and I just love it for its gentleness and moisturizing, as does my chiropractor. My second bar used 15% olive oil instead of the shea, and I think I like it more - I even wash my hair with it! Its more cleansing than the first while still being lovely and soothing. Try either of those, maybe even split that 15% between the OO and the Shea.

Seawolfe,

I made a batch of salt bars yesterday using your recipe using the oo instead of shea and superfatted at 20%. I also used 16 oz of Hawaiian athea sea salt that colored my salt bars a beautiful light coral color. I cut them at the 2 hr mark and had no crumbling at all. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! I scented them with Ocean Rain from Brambleberry.

I Just put the lid on my wooden mold and tossed a towel over it for about an hour or two, then opened it up because by then its done gelling and needs to start cooling. The last two were firm enough to cut in a few hours but very hot to hold! I dont think that covering or not covering is a big deal - it will do its thing either way.

And ya 80% of the oil weight in salt - so if the total oil weight is 1000 grams, the salt would be 800 grams.

I had 44 oz of oils and used a 50% ratio for salt. So, I used 22 oz of salt. They turned out beautiful.

If I knew how to post a picture here, I would attach one.

Salt Bars made yesterday.

Salt Bars.jpg

Well those turned out nice! How did the soaping session go? What scent did you use?

Well those turned out nice! How did the soaping session go? What scent did you use?

Salt bars were easy to make. I was expecting it to trace FAST and furious, but it behaved itself.
I used 1.4 oz of Ocean Rain by Brambleberry.
I cut them at the 2 hr mark.

I used 50% salt.

The color has faded out some this morning but they still look good.

Kathie

Thanks, Skater. A co-worker had given me a lb of Hawaiian sea salt which is reddish pink. So I used that 16 oz plus another 6 oz of regular sea salt. They aren't as coral colored now as they were yesterday. But still turned out pretty decent.

Kmarvel - Salt Bars

Your soap looks beautiful. I would suggest that you choose a fine or superfine salt, however. Those large grains might not feel so good on the skin.

Your soap looks beautiful. I would suggest that you choose a fine or superfine salt, however. Those large grains might not feel so good on the skin.

I was thinking the same! I'm getting ready to make salt soap with the Alaea salt, medium grains. I thought I'd do a quick spin in my food processor, maybe a couple of seconds, to break down the size a bit. Do you think that will work? I also don't want to turn it into powder. ;-)

I sprinkled big chunks of red Hawaiian salt on top one set of bars, and then cringed when I realized how scratchy they might be, but they dissolve and smooth out just fine in the shower.
attachment.php

If all of your salt is coarse, I might grind it and then sieve it.

Trouble with grinding salt is the chance of leaving really sharp edges, so make sure to grind it very well and run through a fine seive. Abraised skin from sharp salt is not nice.I just ran out of my pearl salt that was such a great salt and San Francisco Salt no longer carries it. :(

Latest posts

Back