Lip Balm recipe help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I have heard of rose wax but I don't think they are really giving you all the ingredients when you read the description. Those are a great starting point but it will take some research to find a North American supplier for that wax.

They aren't giving you the whole list. If you click on the Did You Know section below, they begin talking about a fair trade tree/bark/water project that the tree is not mentioned in the list of ingredients. There is also a Maxi Lip™ product in there with no list of ingredients for that.

Lip Balm, by definition, is anhydrous. If you add water, you get a cream. And then you would have to add preservative.

This is the first source of non-hair removal rose wax I could locate. And at that price, I can tell why the balm is expensive!

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040340/3856267.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, Lindy and Susie. I questioned whether they gave all of the ingredients. I guess I will just have to play around and make something myself that works. Chapsticks that I use just don't seen to cut it anymore :(

The way I got started in soapmaking was because I started making my own lip balm. I was using Chapstick, then had to swap to the all-natural Chapstick, which they stopped making. Then I swapped to Burt's Bees. And was allergic to the one with peppermint EO in it. And got sick and tired of the "maybe they have it, maybe they don't" game at the store. And sick of the ever increasing prices. So, I looked up how to make my own on YouTube University(you can learn anything there). The rest is history.

Long story short, you will probably be perfectly fine if you just swap to some homemade lip balm that does not include petrolatum products. You probably won't need the super expensive fancy stuff. Just get beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil. Then I use a 1:1:2 ratio. I melt mine in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave.(water splashes into the cup if you use the double boiler method) You may have to adjust your ratios depending on the consistency you want. And remember that if you are using lip balm tubes, 1oz of product will need 7 tubes. So, don't get excited and make 16 oz or something huge. Trial and error will require lots of small adjustments. I would only pour up one tube until you get the right consistency. Just cover the rest with plastic wrap once it gets cool.

Once you learn your preferred recipe, then you can go get colors and flavoring and such.

Last edited:
Susie, that is such a great tip about pouring only one tube until you get everything to your liking. Makes me think duh that I didn't think of that, great idea!

Latest posts

Back