Good Soaping Books?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodymonday

Reaction score
Just like any craft, soaping requires a large base of knowledge to make quality soaps. But, upon reading various articles, tutorials, etc. and then this forum, I realized that there is an abundance of misinformation around. The Internet aside, what are some good books on CP and other things soap related?

The Everything Soapmaking Book, Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps & Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade are three that I like.

I second The Everything Soapmaking Book. That's the one I started with.

I started with Anne L. Watson's books on soapmaking, soapmaking with milk and lotion making and they're still my go-to books because they are very basic. Everything Soapmaking is on my kindle and it covers everything to do with soaping. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to refresh myself on infusions.

If you want the scientific and truly wonderful chemistry info on soap making get Kevin Dunn's 'Scientific Soapmaking'. I also have 'soap crafting' and while her recipes are nice for ideas her numbers on several of the recipes are not ideal and she doesn't go into any of the chemistry really and all of the supplies she lists are from her business. If you want to wait two weeks or more for supplies this is fine, just order WAY before you need anything. I first started with 'making natural soaps' (I think that what it's called lol) and 'natural soap'. The natural soap also has lotion, balms, and cream recipes too which was nice.

Back