candle caught fire

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danomyte

Reaction score
I used about 15% essential oils and the whole candle caught fire. Was this because of the flashpoint of the essential oils? Or because I used so much? Or the type of wax (soy)?

I liked the smell and would like to try to make this work

It depends on what amount of fragrance your wax can hold. Soy waxes usually go up to about 10%, and many people use the standard 6% added fragrance, which is roughly one ounce of fragrance per pound of wax. If you put in more than your wax can hold, then it isn't a reach that some of your essential oils seeped out and ignited. It's the reason for testing, that is for sure. It can happen with fragrance oils as well.

My friend that is a candle maker and supplier has mentioned to me that he uses 9% in his soy candles. Like Chefmom mentioned you need to test and see what works for you, but I would say 15% is way overboard. I make massage and my mix will only hold 5% eo or fo and can still seep out at times. There are just no easy answers other than test test test

When your using a larger amount of oils in your candles you can avoid causing it to ignite by changing your wick. Some wicks cotton for example burns much hotter than say zinc. So considered utilizing a different wick for low burn temperature so as not to hit that flashpoint. On occasion when I'm adding a 12 percent FO to candle I change to lower burning wick. I keep the size needed for container but switch wick type. Also I have found there are soy waxes out there that are designed to hold a larger percent of oils as well. As well there are paraffin wax blends if using that type of wax you can consider to get the high scent throw. Be sure your adding at FO at the correct melt temp to insure it mixes well into the wax and adheres to the wax to avoid it pooling. Hope this helps, I make most of my candles with 10% to 12 % FO load.

Saw this title and immediately thought to myself "aren't candles SUPPOSED to catch on fire". Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

It depends on what amount of fragrance your wax can hold. Soy waxes usually go up to about 10%, and many people use the standard 6% added fragrance, which is roughly one ounce of fragrance per pound of wax. If you put in more than your wax can hold, then it isn't a reach that some of your essential oils seeped out and ignited. It's the reason for testing, that is for sure. It can happen with fragrance oils as well.

I completely agree with you

Back