Can you reuse melted soap bases?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2Soap

Reaction score
I am planning on making some M&P soap tonight for the first time. In the event that I melt too much, can I just let the unused portion harden again and use this at a later time? What about if I fragrance it? Thanks!

Yes. That's the beauty of MP! Even if you fragrance it, color it, mold it, whatever, it can be remelted again and again. You might need to occasionally add a little water or glycerin though because it can dry out. I wouldn't do that until I remelted it at least 5 times though.

One more question - can you put melt & pour in squeeze bottles and do designs like the peacock swirl?

No, that is the down side to M&P. It will cool down to quickly for you to do intricate swirling. Now if you have infinite patience you might be able to, but you will be remelting and pouring and remelting and pouring many many many times. The problem is once you have all your nice colored lines made the soap has hardened and you can not swirl it.

Julie, I don't think so. I started w/MP and got into CP in part b/c I loved the look of MP swirls and was curious about replicating them. You *can* get a nice, pretty simple (2/3 color unstructured) swirl in MP, but the density differences are too much to do something like a peacock swirl.

There are some people who do amazing MP swirls, though, see eg: http://fr.attirance.lv/lv_en/catalogue/c76/soap/honey-coffee-chocolate-coconut-soap

I've tried and tried to replicate that one and have never been able to do it, though.

Latest posts

Back