New to Lotion Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So I've seen all sorts of recipes online for different lotions, some are just straightforward recipes with simple ingredients while others have more complicated ingredients. Do lotions require a preservative of some sort?

Yes, I use preservatives in lotion as it contains water. Anything with water absolutely needs a preservative. You don't want germs/bacteria growing

Any recommendations? I mean are there different kinds/brands/types?

There are lots if different preservatives. Some have parabans, some are fermaldahyde donors. I use Optiphen mostly or Liquid Germall Plus.

Here is a comparison of some preservatives from swift crafty monkey. It's from 2010, so the info maybe outdated but gives you an idea of what's out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with DeeAnna, check out the listed sources for a lot of valuable information regarding preservatives and anything else you can imagine. Especially Swiftcraftymonkey. You will need to find what will work for your product and be best for what you want out of the preservative. There are many out there so do your research.

yes. a preservative is a must for lotion that has water content. i like using non paraben ones like optiphen and liquid germall plus. so far i am very satisfied with those 2.

yes. a preservative is a must for lotion that has water content. i like using non paraben ones like optiphen and liquid germall plus. so far i am very satisfied with those 2.

Thanks! Like all new endeavours, there is research to be had so I'll check out the links and such this weekend.

Back