recipe without coconut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
anyone have a recipe with about 30 oz of ingredients, i have palm and olive and shea, out of coconut. Has anyone done just palm and olive??

none of those will give you big bubbly lather, but all are very nice. I'd try 70% palm, 20% olive, 10% shea maybe.

ETA: but that'll get you very close to what 100% palm would get you - so you decide!

I have one from my notebook that I like a lot.
When I ran out of coconut I used the following recipe for several 1# tests. In addition to the ingredients below I added various teas, herbs, coffee etc just to play a bit.

This will make about a 1 pound batch so if you want 30 oz. you could double it. Of course run it through a soap calculator. But these produced really nice general purpose soap with good lather and bubbles. A little high in Palm but not at all irritating. And after a couple of weeks they were hard as rocks.

Olive Oil - 82g
Palm Oil - 190g
Vegetable Shortening (Crisco) - 109g
Castor Oil - 73g
Distilled Water (or other liquid) - 173g
Sodium Hydroxide - 59g

You have Palm and Olive already. Most people I know have Crisco on hand. And you should be able to find 4 oz. bottles of Castor oil at the drugstore.

I added 1 tsp salt to water before adding lye for added hardness.
Soaped at 80F and traced in under 10 minutes by hand.

Back