mouse chews

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who has worked with sick and injured wildlife for 8 years, I can appreciate not all species of animals are everyone's cup of tea. And population sprawl has forced wildlife to live more and more closely with humans. But there are humane measures that can be taken to discourage them from getting too close and personal, and your local wildlife rehabilitator will often be able to provide tips and guidance on that end. Chipmunks, in particular, are territorial and if you kill one, it won't be long until another one takes its place. Unless one is prepared to annihilate all of them in a large territory, that is not a practical long term solution (or legal, in many cases). I would encourage people to find better, more compassionate, and humane ways to live harmoniously with our wild neighbors, which play a vital role in our ecosystem.

I didn't mean to derail your thread, Guspuppy, so that is all I will say about that. But I had enjoyed your review of the culinary palate of your mouse!

As someone who has worked with sick and injured wildlife for 8 years, I can appreciate not all species of animals are everyone's cup of tea. And population sprawl has forced wildlife to live more and more closely with humans. But there are humane measures that can be taken to discourage them from getting too close and personal, and your local wildlife rehabilitator will often be able to provide tips and guidance on that end. Chipmunks, in particular, are territorial and if you kill one, it won't be long until another one takes its place. Unless one is prepared to annihilate all of them in a large territory, that is not a practical long term solution (or legal, in many cases). I would encourage people to find better, more compassionate, and humane ways to live harmoniously with our wild neighbors, which play a vital role in our ecosystem.

I didn't mean to derail your thread, Guspuppy, so that is all I will say about that. But I had enjoyed your review of the culinary palate of your mouse!
Killing chipmunks would be pretty much unheard of where I live in Northern Ontario! We love the lil' guys. We have a family who lives in our backyard. They like to tease our dog, she can never catch them. A lot of them around here are tame and will sit on your shoulder or eat peanuts from your hand. I'm definitely a rodent (and general animal) lover as well. :)

And for 10 + years I have worked with Domesticated animals @ Animal Hospital and Rescue groups (healthy, sick , injured and Dying). I usually try to not say much to people on forums that breed dogs (cuz really WHY do you NEED to do that.. $$ )
I get trying to find a way but if they interfere with your Livelihood or can threaten what you have on your property then .....
I think the Humane thing to do it the Electric trap, no poison that makes them feel sick for days-weeks OR infects other animals.
NO Wildlife Rehabilitation person is going to come to everyone's house to capture some rodents, at least not around here and not in TX country side.
I could have let the chickens KILL it themselves but that would have been awful for the chipmunk and I don't want my ORGANIC Chickens eating it .

So let us just leave it at that.

During the summer, I watched a pair of small field mice in the garden, who kept climbing a tall stalk of grass (over 2 feet high). Their weight at the top of the grass stalk caused it to bend over to the ground -- at which point they let go and the grass stem went back to vertical. Then they climbed it again, repeating, again, again. Really just doing it for fun.

(I still use traps indoors.)

Yes, both carry disease. Also both dribble urine everywhere as they have no "on & off" switches-only on "on".
1 female rat can birth 15,000 babies every year.
1 female mouse can birth 40 babies every year.
That's not counting how many the babies, the babies are having, the damage to your house due to having to chew to sharpen and wear down their teeth. Just imagine 15000 chewing up your walls, roof, and other parts of your house. There's some 12000 house fires every year due to rodents chewing on live wires.
Anything that can harm my home or loved ones inside it, have no business living in my home. I know many of you are going to "yell" at me. But have you ever had to get rabies shots? The new 3 in the arm type or the old 10 in the belly? I've had to have both-and you don't want to have either!

FYI, Rabies is still 4 (now I just checked but it was 3 2 years ago) separate shots, and at 3 additional days and the amount of shots depends on your WEIGHT ! NO THANK YOU !!

Have your house checked for Termites too! I think every one should do this, whether it is something that you have in your area or not.

I lived in TX at a house rental. I offered to redo the kitchen in lieu of lesser rent.

When I took out the old cabinets and had to take out some dry wall.... The studs were 1/2 GONE ~~!!
I told the LL and they didn't care. I couldn't afford to move, I just had moved in there. I swear I could hear them chewing through out the night ewwww

Back