Less oily body butter please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. I think it's the Shea that is causing the greasiness. At the end of the day, from what I'm reading, you either have to adjust to the butters or make a lotion. You will never get just butters and oil to feel like lotion. It may absorb faster, but it will never go on like lotion.

None of you mentioned the apricot oil, maybe too greasy? Maybe THATS the greasier of what I feel. I don't yet know what tempering is, although I used shea with the apricot. I need to do a little research!

I would sub some of the Shea with Mango, Apricot oil is very nice as well. Sorry, missed that. I'm currently working on switching up my recipe adding Mango hoping too it will up the melt point a bit. I don't produce a lot of it during the hot summer months but keep some available. At shows, I keep it in a cooler with some cold packs covered with a towel.

I made a Cocoa /coconut / shea / Rice bran oil/ Jojoba whipped butter with tapioca,
it is very quick to absorb, smooth on the skin, and non-greasy.
I think the whip helps deliver a finer film of butter/oil to your skin, the tapioca def helps with a more 'powder' feel

I normally dislike anhydrous body butters with a passion, but I have a vendor friend that makes a whipped raw shea butter with castor oil and almond oil. He actually makes it for his Black African clientele for their hair but it is a wonderful body butter. I have never tried to duplicate it, out of courtesy and get it from him when I need another jar. I think it has a fairly high percent of black castor oil, which is listed before the SAO he fragrances it with spearmint eo and it is delicious. Shea is first on the list of course

I find that just oil right after my shower works wonderful on my skin. I use either meadowfoam, grapeseed or sweet almond oil. Apply right after your shower and it soaks in pretty quickly. My grandson has eczema and the dermatologist has said that you have 3 minutes after your shower or bath before your pores close. I too have had breast cancer.

I find that just oil right after my shower works wonderful on my skin. I use either meadowfoam, grapeseed or sweet almond oil. Apply right after your shower and it soaks in pretty quickly. My grandson has eczema and the dermatologist has said that you have 3 minutes after your shower or bath before your pores close. I too have had breast cancer.

Regarding eczema, studies are being done in the use of the right bacteria to help patients heal:
https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2017/03/07/eczema-relief-probiotic-lotion-shows-early-promise/

Also:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28228596

We would literally be dead without our bacterial friends. The trick is to have the type we want and provide the right environment for the friendly type to flourish so that it will disallow the unfriendly type. This is true of our skin, guts (people spend millions of dollars every year buying or making probiotics, which, of course, are bacteria), and of our soils. Food grown in soil rich in positive microbial life (good bacteria and fungi) are vastly more nutrient-dense than food grown in sterile soil that gets synthetic fertilizer added. Plants need their bacterial and fungal friends to help them absorb the nutrients available in the soil, and the plants, in turn, give the bacteria and fungi food from root excretions. Like all the other mediums, it is all about keeping the best environment for the friendly bacteria to thrive so they crowd out or totally disallow the ones we don't want. Plants are also able to withstand diseases and pests much more effectively when they are living in a microbial-rich soil.
It is exciting to see tests and trials being done utilizing the friendly bacteria to get rid of the ones we don't want, such as in the experiment linked to above.

Hemp oil is a good "dry" oil to use in recipes in place of a greasier soft oil. I use it in almost everything.

I have a go to body butter recipe of 2 parts shea, 1 part coconut oil, .5 apricot kernel oil. Example recipe 1/2 c shea, 1/4 cup coconut, 1/8 c apricot kernel oil. melt oils together, let cool and whip. Or let it set and use as a balm. I like it whipped. But in temperatures of over 75 degrees F it will melt to an oil due to the coconut oil
It can get greasy,use sparingly. I just towel off any residual oil
You can also add a tablespoon of arrow root and that helps the greasy bit a great deal. I stopped adding arrow root powder though as I was making it for an elderly customer who found she reacted to the arrow root when she put it on her face. I tried it on my face as well and the arrow root irritated my eyes. So removed the arrow root.
I now use this recipe on my face and towel off the excess if i get too generous. I do want to develop another butter using mango butter as the shea is notorious for being too greasy

I made new attempt on body butter and this has pretty good skin feel and absorbs very quickly. It's also very very soft so it might liquefy in higher temps. =D

44% Babassu oil
22% Cocoa butter
22% Evening primrose oil
11% Sweet almond oil

I melted everything and then cooled it down in freezer. It did whip but not very well and some parts liquefied during bottling. So this may end up being more body oil than butter. But skin feel is some of the best I've come up since I started doing creams and lotions some years ago.

It’s perpetually hot here so for a non oily butter for my baby I use

20% Illipe Butter
20% Kokum Butter
10% Shea Butter
10% Mango Butter
10% Bacuri Butter
10% Evening Primrose
10% Borage
10% Hempseed oil.

I use it for our crunchy hair too. :)

ETA: 100g of this before whipping usually lasts her like 2 months if we use some for our hair. If used exclusively as body butter this should last 3 month at least (For a baby though. For an adult YMMV)

I use 30% Beeswax, 45 % mixed of sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, flax seed oil, 21% Shea butter, 4% vit E and IPM. I stopped using starch as it scratchy for me. I made this originally for my feet, then I found that it works really well after using my body oils right after the shower specially when the weather gets very dry here.

I would recommend Mango and Shea butter. Mango is less greasy to me. I too use Meadowfoam and Fractionated Coconut oil. To help make it more silky, less greasy feeling I add isopropyl myristate as I found adding starches could sometimes make it scratchy. Regardless, it’s going to be greasier than a lotion.

I love mango butter. It is my go to in body products.

Last edited by a moderator:
@chigirl DON'T be embarrassed! We've all done that. Well, at least I have. Just know, I love it when a Newbie brings up an old thread... it's truly fun for me to have another look at something we've discussed in the past! So, thanks! 😀

@chigirl DON'T be embarrassed! We've all done that. Well, at least I have. Just know, I love it when a Newbie brings up an old thread... it's truly fun for me to have another look at something we've discussed in the past! So, thanks! 😀
I’m glad! I search for wisdom from these threads! Plus, today I made the most perfect body butter and it’s because I read the thread😊

Latest posts

Back