Need help quick!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleyabubbles

Reaction score
Can somebody help me; I use soapcalc to check my recipe, my only concern is the milk fat (bovine) that I want to use in my recipe. Is that the same thing as using goat milk, cow's milk, butterfat? Or do I have that all wrong? I'm CPHP my oils right now, I've dissolved my lye in partial amount of water & frozen aloe vera juice and I've already incorporated the rest of the aloe vera juice (unfrozen) I want to use in in with my oils. I've pour up 16 oz of thick goat milk w/ kefir culture in. I don't want to whine up throwing it out. Can anyone offer some speedy advise who have soap with milk fat before?

you ignore the fat in the milk for your lye calculations.

If yo think about it, milk adds very little fat anyway. Whole cow's milk is about 3.5% fat - so if you add, say, 200 grams of it that's only 6 grams of fat maximum. Goats milk may be a bit higher but still we ignore it.

So I should have added the milk in with lye/water/aloe vera juice mixture and not counted as a separate ingredient like a fat, is that what you're saying? Like I said I measured 16 oz of Goat's Milk because I thought that was what the milk fat (bovine) on soapcalc stood for and it's thick because of kefir culture in it. It's thick like vaseline lotion...I can't drink anything like that that's that thick...I refuse too let my kid drink any yesterday neither....I haven't had this milk 2 weeks since I brought it from Whole Foods....

the milk fat would be if you soaped with butter, basically.

The fact that it's thick just means the proteins have denatured and such and have no impact on the fat content.

I love kefir (aka sludge) to drink, but prefer strawberry to plain.

This is what I did; my recipe that I develop using the oils that I acquire that I plug into soapcalc called for 24.32 ounces of water, I use 12.3 ounces of H2O to dissolve the required amt of lye that recipe required to saponify the oils, I added 6.0 ounces frozen aloe vera juice to lye/water mixture and I pour the rest of 6.0 ounces of aloe vera juice in with the oils when I melted them down, so adding in the 16 oz of Goat's milk (which is basically additional liquid) would pretty much make the soap recipe a soupy disaster :?:

confuzzled and heading to bed. but post your FULL recipe and I'll see what we can figure out in the morning (in case you need to/want to rebatch)

Yes it would be a soupy disaster. Milk is a liquid and is treated just
like water in your recipe.
I always dissolve my lye in the aloe juice and have never had a
problem with this. I add this to my oils. Then I add my milk.
I do everything RTCP. (Room Temperature Cold Process).
HTH :) :)

Laurie

@carebear: Here's my recipe for 4 pounds of soap....

Water as % of oils: 38
Superfat/Discount: 7%
Lye Concentration 26.8943%
Water:Lye Ratio 2.7183:1

Water: 24.32 oz
Lye: 8.947 oz
Tallow Beef: 12.8 oz
Milk fat (Bovine): 16 oz
Hemp: 3.2 oz
Grapeseed: 5.12 oz
Coconut (76 degree): 9.6 oz
Cocoa Butter: 3.84 oz
Avocado: 6.4 oz
Apricot Kernel Oil: 3.84 oz
Walnut: 3.2 oz

Additives:
Aloe Vera Juice--i use 6 oz of frozen avj for part of water and also pour in 6 ounces aloe vera juice with my oils when i was melting them
Honey --didnt do an exact measurement, per say, I squeeze two squirts of raw honey :lol:
:shock:
Tangerine EO--had 0.5 fl oz bottle, maybe use three quarters of this bottle, b/c the digital scale I gotten from ebay isn't sensitive enough to read out a measurement, i'd say it probably came out to about a half tsp

Papaya puree--didn't do exact measurement, prepare this up earlier

Cantuloupe puree--4 oz

Papaya seeds (grounded)--didn't do exact measurement, prepare this earlier only use maybe half....

Keep in mind; I was thinking that milk fat (bovine) and ordinary milk meant the same thing, as far as, sap value is concerned, so I used goat milk And I also :roll: didn't exactly use beef tallow, I was planning to use buffalo tallow but it was awkward getting it out of its container b/c i'd thrown the whole container in froze box (freezer) so I subbed in deer tallow....I tweak some of the oils b/c some of them came up short ya know what was in the bottle is what was in the bottle, by about 0.1 oz....

I went and got my lye mixture off of back porch and pour that into my reheated oils in crock pot, pour in the goat's milk early this morning about 1 a.m. est...brought all that to a thick puddling texture. I stirred for alittle bit but I was two tired to get it to Vaseline petroleum jelly consistency...So I pour everything into my fish porcher turned new soap mold and went to bed...

I unmolded it this morning and this is how it turn out....

P.S. I might of mention already I didn't do a zap test either.... :? :shock: :eek:

Back