Glycerin in soap , how to maximise?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
I love glycerin in soap, I know it's a by product of the process, but is there a way to increase the amount in soap by the type of oils I use, or is there a process which would help?

I've always felt that some formulas produce more glycerin than others. My "bubble test" says yes but the chemistry says different. So in the soaps that I think are lacking I just add some vegetable glycerin to recipe. I can tell the difference with just a tablespoon per my 54 oz batch.

I love glycerin in soap, I know it's a by product of the process, but is there a way to increase the amount in soap by the type of oils I use,
Yes. The lower mol. wt., shorter avg. chain oils yield more. Chief example: coconut. Castor oil yields more than its avg. mol. wt. would predict, because it contains a considerable amount of diglyceride as well as the triglycerides that chiefly compose most fats & oils.
or is there a process which would help?
Yes, the "process" of buying and adding it.

Oh, and of course not salting out the soap.

You can always add a little glycerin to your soap. I add it to my shampoos and body washes, it is a humectant and also helps with the bubbles.

HA! I thought the oils made a difference! Thank you
They do make a difference, but maybe not as much difference as you think. Trilaurin would yield about 50% more glycerol than tristearin, and the actual oils you'll be using are mixtures of glycerides mostly somewhere between those extremes, so it's not like you're going to double it by judicious choice of fats.

See if you can hook up with someone making biodiesel and trade a little soap for some glycerine. I don't know if people are still doing that as a hobby or money saver now that diesel's come down in price from the heights it'd soared to a few yrs. back.

You can buy glycerin at Wholesalesuppliesplus.com -- $19 for 10 lb and free shipping with a $30. order. To add extra glycerin to a recipe I would start with 1/2 ounce ppo.

You should be able to pick up a small bottle at a pharmacy if you just want to try it first. You would have to check and make sure it's vegetable if that matters to you.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll lay off the salt and up the castor. May add some bought glycerin as extra!!

"...not salting out the soap...."
"...I'll lay off the salt..."

FWIW, adding salt to a CP soap recipe is not remotely the same as "salting out" a soap, so don't worry about it if you have salt in your recipe. The glycerin will still be in your soap.

Latest posts

Back