Scientific Soapmaking & other books

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleiades

Reaction score
I love crafting of all types and this is what led me to try my hand at soapmaking. I bought Natural soapmaking by Melinda Coss.

I've made about 8 batches of soap, all very basic and following recipes which I've then run through soap calc.

However, I know I lack the scientific knowledge behind it. This is something I want to put right. My husband bought me Scientific Soapmaking for Christmas and he's going to help me work through the book.

Whilst I seem to have myself a stash of oils, I've not really gone made with FOs or EOs. I'm completely aware that the EOs, have medicinal properties as well as nice aromas.

I'm at the beginning of a very long path of discovery..... I want to understand my soap, why it's reacted in certain ways and how to make soap for different skin types etc.

Does anyone have a particular book they would recommend that would complement the books I have? Any Essential oil/aromatherapy books that are absolute musts?

Has anyone worked their way through Scientific Soapmaking? If so, have you any comments or useful advice for when using it?

I like The Complete Book of Essential oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood. It is very thorough, but is not actually related to soapmaking. However, it is a good resource to learn about the essential oils. Your local health food store should have it.

I second Ruthie's suggestion, and would like to add Robert Tisserand, Julia Lawless, and Kurt Schnaubelt as Aromatherapy authors to look for. As for soapmaking books, try The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso, or Anne Watson, Marie Browning, or Melinda Coss books.
Scientific Soapmaking is like a chemistry class...and definitely requires your full attention, but has such valuable information for we soap makers that ask "why?" and "how come?"...it took a bit for me to get into it because I need personal interaction to learn best (like someone to bounce questions & ideas off of), but I do like that Kevin Dunn tries to make it simple and witty. I think anyone intending to sell their soap should read it.

I am currently working on reading "Scientific Soapmaking", it was one of my Christmas presents this year from my husband. It's taking a fair bit of concentration, I haven't read much this detailed ince I was in University *mumblemumble* years ago. I love it anyway. I know coconut oil is great for bubbles and cleansing, and olive adds conditioning, etc. but learning why each of those oils adds what they do is fascinating to me.

Scientific Soapmaking is like my soaping Bible. I've had it in my possession for a few years and have been reading it and re-reading it over and over again for about that long! LOL It's not exactly something that you can curl up on the couch with and read cover to cover with a cup of hot cocoa, if you know what I mean, but wow- it's full to the brim with invaluable info. If you are like me who got a D in chemistry in high school, you may find many things in the book will go over your head at first, but if you keep reading and soaping and re-reading and soaping, it'll all eventually gel.

IrishLass :)

thank you. I now feel quite positive about Scientific Soapmaking; I failed so miserably at chemistry at school that it's not recorded! But that was many years ago and I intended to nail this with my husbands help.

Lots of great suggestions for books, my amazon wish list has just doubled in size.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back