temperature issues perhaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Reaction score
I made my first batch of candle melts last night. Final product was good. Smelled good, and sorta looked good. When I look at the bottom of the melt, I have a circle or ring. I feel it and it's very smooth. I'm wondering if it was starting to sink during the cooling process.

If I had to take a stab in the dark as to why, I kinda lean towards the temperatures at which I "ignored".
When I started, I saw a number of temperatures that ppl said to melt the wak at. Ranging from 151F, all the way up to 220F. That's a big range. So once my wax was melted (temperature not read), I removed it from the double boiler, poured in the FO, and the coloring. Mixed thoroughly, then poured in to metal mold. It set and here I am. I read that it should have cooled down to around 137F before pouring. Again, ignored temps.

Would this have caused the ring/sinking appearance?

what happens at 137F that allows it to be poured in to the mold? It's still liquid visually. I certainly can't tell a difference.

https://flic.kr/p/JHvBWD

Last edited:
Is this soy wax? Looks like frosting to me. Soy does frost, and it's just an aesthetic problem and won't hurt the melt at all. If it's paraffin it could be mottling.

yes, this is definitely 100% soy. So if using soy, how do you avoid that? remelting the top??

would it also be affected by the lack of my attention to temperatures?

Soy does just frost and its always more obvious with candle dyes - some are worse than others.

So if using soy, how do you avoid that? remelting the top??

Nothing will help because whatever you do, will only be temporary as it will always come back. It's just a characteristic of soy waxes. Some are worse than others, but I've never really found any that didn't frost eventually.

People who buy/know soy, know this about the wax, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the same with container candles and "wet spots" - just a nature of the beast...

I see. Thank you for that.
Guess if it's that big of an ordeal for me, I can always switch to different types of wax.

Every type of wax is going to have its pros and cons, you just have to decide what you can live with, and what you can’t. Good luck. Personally, I think it looks fine.

Latest posts

Back