Hi from MASS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Hello, :bunny:

Intro.
I think I came here before when it 1st started but not sure.

I have soaped in the past, 10+ years ago, got divorced, 2 kids, moved a few times and just couldn't soap nor afford to.
Finally secure enough to soap again and would like to make a go of it as a job (part time) and just do Markets and a few holiday shows.

I used to only make HP soap. Did 1 show and made a little $
Want to start CP, CPOP and some HP too.
More on the Natural side. Not too many FO's, no coloring except natural colors. Not into swirls or textured tops and that is just a personal preference.

Still have a 5 gall bucket of Lye so I should be good on that part. I can't believe that I lugged that around on 4 moves !
Not sure if any of the Fo's/EO's I have are any good.
Still have my 2 SB and just bought a few cheap 2.5# log molds, which is new for me. Silicone inserts are also new to me so I will be doing a LOT of Searching on here.

Well there you have it, that is me in a nutshell on soaping and life.

Thank you :mrgreen:
-Lin

P.s., not sure how many here are on other forums, so you might know me from one other forum that I will not name.. :silent: LOL

Welcome to the forum. How long have you had the lye? Lye can draw moisture and go bad. I would try the lye in a small batch to see if it was still good.:)

HI, and thanks.
Lye is stored in a tight lid and is dry, no clumps. Had it since 2005, yeah I know, long time.
I only plan on doing small batches for a while anyway. 1 to get used to soaping again and 2 because I need to learn CP soaping ;)

Welcome, Lin! :wave:

If the lye is dry, you're good to go. :thumbup: At the moment I'm using up some lye that's at least 8 years old, and it's dry and perfectly good.

IrishLass :)

Welcome, Lin19687. I hope you have lots of success with your plans.

I really have no idea how long FOs and EOs last. But I think lavender is notorious for contributing to DOS (dreaded orange spots) or rancidity in soap, so if you have any of it left over from the old days, maybe watch out for that.

Other than that, I use FOs from other soapers who passed it along to me either for free or for sale and of course I have no idea how old any of that is. I do use them, but haven't paid close enough attention to determine if any of them are DOS contributers. Maybe someone here has more information on that, because it would be good to know.

Hey Lin ... I believe I do recognize your name from a forum long, long ago.

Life happens in between soaping spells! Welcome back to the craft.

Cyndi ! I have not seen you on line in a long time.
I have always adored and admired your HOMESTEAD !!! And all that you do on it.

I am hoping to have something like that ... someday...

Back