Lost in scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sab_77

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've not succeeded in having a soap bar that smells like I've wanted it to, as of now. I've read your stickies and found I might not have used enough oils, not the right brand, etc.

But, I still have a few questions.

- When it is said that a scent sticks, does that means to the soap bar or to the skin? Is it meaning that the scent will go through time as the soap ages, or does it mean that after a shower, our skin will smell like the selected scent?

- Also, I have found the FO review chart, that shows which one stick, accelerate trace, etc. I have not found the equivalent chart for EO.

Well, I think that's all for now.

When a scent "sticks", it means that it can still be smelled after a long cure. So 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down the road... the scent of the soap has not faded into nothing - it sticks around.

Most fragrances will not linger on the skin for long after bathing.

I'm not much help with EOs as I don't use them. But I don't believe we have a doc for them here.

Unfortunately the majority of scents don't stick to the skin for long. So, it just means it good after cure and should stay noticeable for some time. I would say at least 6 mos-1 year. Some will stick for years.

I primarily use FO. The EO's I do use I check the supplier's usage recommendation as they vary. Clove, Cinnamon etc can only be used sparingly. Lavender, Lemongrass, Patchouli can be used at a much higher rate. Many EO's stick in soap but the worst at sticking at all are citrus scents with the exception of Lemongrass.

Sab_77, if you want a fragrance that lingers on the skin after washing, Dragon's Blood is one that does. It also discolors soap to a dark color, as well, so no dainty coloring for DB soap. Also anise EO lingers on the skin as well apparently. My niece made soap with anise and her husband refused to sleep with her when she showered before going to bed. He obviously hates the smell. I don't know other than by their reports, as I've never used it myself. Citronella EO lingers on the skin as well as I recall, but it may not last very long.

I have read that some Brambleberry FO's linger on the skin longer than some other brands. I haven't paid close attention, though. I really should!

Last edited:
Stick means it is lasting in the soap. Since soap is a wash-off product, very few scents will be noticeable on the skin afterwards. If you want a scent to linger, I suggest making a lotion and lotioning yourself after your shower or bath.

Really rich, heavy scents may stick a bit - BB's Honey Beeswax sticks to my skin, as does my Lush "honey I washed the kids" shampoo bar.

If you read vendor descriptions of EOs, they do usually provide some info about them. Off the top of my head:
- Lemongrass - sticks, no discoloration, well behaved.
- Lavender, sticks, no discoloration, well behaved.
- tea tree - sticks, no discoloration, well behaved.
- citrus - fades.
- cinnamon - sticks but seizes badly.
- clove sticks but seizes badly.
- Mint - sticks, no discoloration, well behaved.

Since soap is a wash-off product, very few scents will be noticeable on the skin afterwards. If you want a scent to linger, I suggest making a lotion and lotioning yourself after your shower or bath.

Well, that makes perfect sense LOL. I guess it was a strange question. It's just that when I use certain bath products (liquid soap) bought in stores, I feel like I smell longer after the shower. My mom will tell me I smell good even if I don't use any perfume.

Thanks everyone for the informations. I will look into FO.. At first I wanted EO for the "benefits", but at this point I am not 100% sure it is worth it (for the quantity used in a soap versus the price of the EO).

I love the anise scent so I will try that :)

I will look into lotion making soon. My stepmom made some and it seemed simple. I guess it's my next step after making soap! Can't wait.

Well, that makes perfect sense LOL. I guess it was a strange question. It's just that when I use certain bath products (liquid soap) bought in stores, I feel like I smell longer after the shower. My mom will tell me I smell good even if I don't use any perfume.

Thanks everyone for the informations. I will look into FO.. At first I wanted EO for the "benefits", but at this point I am not 100% sure it is worth it (for the quantity used in a soap versus the price of the EO).

I love the anise scent so I will try that :)

I will look into lotion making soon. My stepmom made some and it seemed simple. I guess it's my next step after making soap! Can't wait.

It's not a strange question - it gets asked frequently!

RE: EOs - where are you buying them? if you are buying doTerra or YoungLiving those are over-priced and heavily hyped. Try Camden Grey and Liberty Naturals. There are lots of EOs that are too expensive for soap for most of us - rose and jasmine leap to mind. Most of us won't patchouli soap, except maybe a very special batch. But the ones I listed are comparable in price to FOs.

I use EOs in my soaps, even the expensive stuff like jasmine and rose and patchouli.

What people have said so far about which EOs stick is accurate.

Patchouli sticks incredibly well, it'll still be around LONG after any other scent combined with it has faded. Only takes a LITTLE bit, too, it goes a long, long way. Using very much will tend to produce some discoloration.

Ylang ylang sticks, accelerates slightly, haven't noticed any discoloration.

Rose absolute (solvent extraction method, produces a fuller, more complete scent than steam distillation) sticks (so far- I haven't been making soap long enough to have any year old bars yet), accelerates some, discolors a LOT. Turns soap a rather pretty yellow.

Jasmine absolute I've only used in combination with others (a bit too expensive even for me to use as a single scent), but it does seem to stick well, and hasn't caused any noticeable discoloration, though it may contribute to acceleration.

I've got a soap that just started curing scented with a combination of petitgrain, bergamot, litsea cubeba, neroli and elemi. It's a lovely light citrus sort of scent, with notes of both lemon and orange. I'm hoping the petitgrain will help it stick, but only time will tell. Did not notice any acceleration with that soap, or any discoloration (though, the combination was in part selected to avoid discoloration).

Last edited:
Sab_77;683006I love the anise scent so I will try that :) [/QUOTE said:
Make sure you check the usage rate. If I remember correctly, it is fairly low. Not a problem, since it is a strong scent.

I will also second dragon's blood being one that can be smelled on the skin. To my nose, anything with patchouli tends to.

I find Litsea (May Chang) sticking better than Lemongrass so always add in Litsea with Lemongrass when using in soap. I have been told my DB will linger on the skin for awhile but I do not notice it, so I am thinking my nose is just used to it. I find Teakwood and Cardamon from Natures Garden sticks well, for at least 2 years used at 1.1oz per lb of oil. Salty Sailor is another real sticker, I just pulled out some 2.5 yr old salt bars to sell and it is as strong as when first poured which is very unusual for salt bars. Big Sur from soapalooza is another that sticks fantastically and lingers a little bit on the skin.

quote I will look into lotion making soon. My stepmom made some and it seemed simple. I guess it's my next step after making soap! Can't wait... Making lotion is no necessarily hard but making a safe well preserved can be tricky. Won't go in to it but study well

Lotion making is pretty simple. You can get kits from places like Brambleberry and Wholesale supplies plus, so if you find you don't care for it, you don't have a bunch of ingredients you won't use again.

Until you try lotion, you could try body butter, which you probably already have at hand. Blend a hard butter (cocoa butter, mango butter, etc) with something soft and/or something liquid. I like shea butter, virgin coconut oil and avocado oil.

Thank You.gif
I don't have anything to add. Just want to say thanks for asking! Good info in the the replies!

Are litsea (may chang) and lemongrass similar scents orie litsea more citrusy?

Lemongrass has a strong green note (that mostly fades after a few days), litsea doesn't have that. Litsea is a more generic sort of citrus scent and seems a tiny bit crisper to me, where lemongrass is strongly lemon.

Litsea cubeba is a good anchor for citrus scents. Here's a blend I like and use in cleaning products as well as body products when I want a fresh, bright scent (Poo-Pourri anyone?). It's one of the few blends I always have on hand because it works well with other scents/blends too:

Zany's Blimey!
1 Litsea
1 Lemon
2 Lime

Latest posts

Back