making bath bomb modifications

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Reaction score
I have recently got the brainy idea to start making candles, and bath bombs......I use candle wax melts all the time, but bath bombs, not at all.

I've been making bombs and giving away for friends to test.

The bath bombs I have made thus far, have turned out perfectly. Perfect form, color, and function.

I think I'd like to tweak slightly, but not sure what to tweak.

1. I would like to add more scent so the bath water smells like a fragrance. but not sure how much more to add without ruining the dry ingredient ratio.

2. I would like to add something to my recipe to leave an oily film on your skin once out of the bath. almost like a baby oil type feeling. something to leave you soft.

Here is the recipe that I'm using. Can anyone suggest something I should tweak to achieve my wants?

4 oz. baking soda
2 oz. corn starch
2 oz. citric acid
2 oz. Epsom salt
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon essential oil
1 1/4 teaspoon oil (I like coconut or olive oil here)
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

I use only oils and no water in my bombs to help them set harder and also to give that nice soft skin feeling. Try that?

Hello and welcome to the forum! You can tweak your recipe by switching up oils. I use either shea or cocoa butter in mine and if it needs a bit more I add some almond oil. I do use PS80 as I don't want free oils in the tub (causes slippery footing). I color them with micas. I also don't use cornstarch but do add a bit of SLSA for some bubbles to go with the fizzy.

If the mixture is still a bit dry I'll spritz with 90% Alcohol which will evaporate smell wise. I don't use any water.

thanks for the feedback.
Before I start swapping out more oil for water along with the other items you guys mentioned, would it benefit me to add more scent oil?

I noticed that members, no matter where I've looked, do NOT mention brands/websites that they buy their fragrance oils from. Is that a no-no? That may be borderline when it comes to promoting one brand over another, but if it works great, then why not share?

would that PS80 be polysorbate 80? what is that replacing or adding to in the recipe?

is the slsa replacing the baking soda as the fizzy agent?

I noticed that members, no matter where I've looked, do NOT mention brands/websites that they buy their fragrance oils from. Is that a no-no? That may be borderline when it comes to promoting one brand over another, but if it works great, then why not share?

Don’t know where you get that idea.
There is a section on fragrance oils:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

And a document where you can see a list of suppliers world wide with reviews of FOs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SarBRyH9X4gghraavMFTWfchk-c7sNswuh-yaTdRf1M/htmlview

I can't imagine I put on my blinders when looking for this info, but I certainly couldn't get recommendations for this stuff.
thank you for those links.

I got more of a generic statement like "use essential oils". that was it.

would that PS80 be polysorbate 80? what is that replacing or adding to in the recipe?

is the slsa replacing the baking soda as the fizzy agent?

Yes, PS80 is polysorbate 80. I can't speak for Shunt and her actual recipe, but PS80 is an emulsifier and it helps mix the oils and micas in the water, so you don't have oil slicks or clumbs of undissolved mica floating around on the water, and then stuck to the tub after it's drained, possibly causing people to slip on the left-over oils.

Some micas/colorants when used without PS80 can and will actually stain the tub.

In my recipes PS80 is not a replacement for anything, just an ingredient I use in my bath fizzies for the reason mentioned above.

This is just me personally, but I would not want to feel like I still had oil (even a baby oil feeling) on my skin after getting out of the tub. Soft yes, oily slick, no.

Yes, PS80 is polysorbate 80. I can't speak for Shunt and her actual recipe, but PS80 is an emulsifier and it helps mix the oils and micas in the water, so you don't have oil slicks or clumbs of undissolved mica floating around on the water, and then stuck to the tub after it's drained, possibly causing people to slip on the left-over oils.

Some micas/colorants when used without PS80 can and will actually stain the tub.

In my recipes PS80 is not a replacement for anything, just an ingredient I use in my bath fizzies for the reason mentioned above.

This is just me personally, but I would not want to feel like I still had oil (even a baby oil feeling) on my skin after getting out of the tub. Soft yes, oily slick, no.
Exactly the same reasoning....:)

maybe soft is the more accurate term. But aI was told, they want to feel smoooooth, rather than just smooth when getting out of the bath. if that makes sense.

now, to add to this a little more, I use 2.37" bath bomb molds. Not sure if this is larger than needed. Not really sure how big they need to be to be the most effective in the bath tub. I thought about smaller bombs, but it defeats the purpose if you have to put in a few, just to equal the larger ones. So maybe i have more water to BB ratio, which makes it not as potent as I'd like.

I will search through the links/recipes tonight and see what I can change/come up with that would be much better than my current recipe.

Last edited:
Hi i am new to this as well and been doing lots of trial an error. I have a simular recipe to yours for my basic bomb which is

250g bi carb
125g cit
90g corn
25ml carrier oil
5ml fragrance
5ml poly 80

1. When thinking about the fragrence you have to see what the supplier recommends. I have found typical is no more than 1%. The poly 80 has helped with the fragrance.

2. I am actualy on oil tweeking myself and after the same thing. The amount i use is based on each bomb having 1tsp. My recipe makes 5. I now am trying to figure out how to get the silky feeling out of the bath like you do with other brands. At the moment i use sweet almond oil but i think next time will use a combo of jojoba oil with shea butter.

I have never had a bad batch but i do stick to quite strict radios e.g dry 90-95% and wet 5-10%. For me personaly a like a 93/07% mix. Sorry im an accountant so numbers are my thing. I guess i just find tweeking more effective when i keep the variables and ratios in line. After skin softness im on bubbles and colour.

Back