lets see your labels?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaerwen

Reaction score
Id love to see what you all have for soap labels! I use till tape and a mailing label at the moment! I get compliments but I want kraft brown desperately! Thing is Ive no real logo and some of my bars I wrap vertically and some horizontally... maybe I should quit that, but prefer some to "stand up"! Once I load a pic on my PC Ill post a couple.

I don't use brown kraft so my attempt at labels won't help much since I use colors on a white background. But this idea might help you - I took my logo and cropped out the name of my business so I was left with a big white rectangular space. Then I set this as my background on a cigar band, type the name of my soap at the top (I have theme soap), then below that is the scent name, ingredients and weight. The fragrance name and most of the ingredients are in the white section. Then I took my logo and made it small and set it so when I wrap the soap, the logo is centered on the back. Instructions on how to help the soap last longer and business name are set vertically on the sides. You might be able to do something similar on brown kraft.

I tried to upload a pic of a label but it wouldn't let me. I need to take pictures of my soap. :lol:

Have you googled for pics of soap labels? You might get some ideas that way. Also, Pinterest probably has images, too.

Here are a couple of mine:

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_20131126_190647.jpg

With labeling, I think it's fine for some to stand and some to lay, it adds variation in your display. Try to come up with similar looking design templates for each orientation/shape/size you need. Something you can tweak as you go to suit each design is useful. Coming from a design background, I would say as long as you maintain a similar look/feel and keep your logo consistant, it'll look great :)
Don't have soap yet but here are some of my other products labeled...
I do want to try make some things with craft paper too. Just ordered some; waiting for it to get here so I can play with it!

cuticlebalm.jpg

happyfeetbutter_small.jpg

lipbutter1.jpg

whippedbuttercupcake.jpg

cocoascrub.jpg

Nice packaging guys!

As a consumer, I totally judge a book by its cover - at least until I use it. Attention to packaging details makes me think that the creator has taken time to consider every aspect of their product and hence it must be a better product. I *know* that isn't always the case...

Packaging has to look particularly good if I plan on giving it as a gift. I'm a bit of a design snob, so if you've got comic sans or a bunch of mismatched design elements, I'm going to think you have bad taste and your product will be bad. I *know* that isn't always the case...

Above all, the branding just has to make sense and carry through the entire product line. Auntie Bertha's Homemade Goat Soap works with a old fashioned font and burlap background. Silver glitter background and futura font - those belong to Awesomesauce Soap Co.

This post is really timely. I'm not selling my soap (yet - still learning and perfecting), but I have tons of soap that I'm really proud of that I want to give to friends and family over the holidays. Right now I'm sitting here with some printout cigar bands, some sisal (natural fiber "twine"), and raffia with a big question mark on my face! The examples I've seen so far are beautiful!

Nice packaging guys!

As a consumer, I totally judge a book by its cover - at least until I use it. Attention to packaging details makes me think that the creator has taken time to consider every aspect of their product and hence it must be a better product. I *know* that isn't always the case...

Packaging has to look particularly good if I plan on giving it as a gift. I'm a bit of a design snob, so if you've got comic sans or a bunch of mismatched design elements, I'm going to think you have bad taste and your product will be bad. I *know* that isn't always the case...

Above all, the branding just has to make sense and carry through the entire product line. Auntie Bertha's Homemade Goat Soap works with a old fashioned font and burlap background. Silver glitter background and futura font - those belong to Awesomesauce Soap Co.

I totally agree with you. It's not "fair," but I think people (myself included) will make a judgement call on a product within a split second of looking at it - regardless of whether or not we've tried it! I think in some ways, branding is almost more important than the product when it comes to getting people to give it a try.

If you're selling, it pays to read about branding. I never took a business course, and had very little idea what branding was, but found a lot of info online once I decided I would sell my soap. Branding plays a huge part in our perception of the products we buy. For anyone serious about selling, it pays to determine what your brand is, and then work from there. Are your products rustic, upscale, spa-type, all natural, down-home-farmhouse, sophisticated, glitter-sprinkled neon cupcakes, or crunchy granola basic? Once you've got your brand figured out, it's a lot easier to know in which direction to take your labels.

Branding will also determine how much you can sell your products for. If you don't have a "look" that follows through your entire line, then you are not perceived as a professional and therefore cannot get the higher prices.

I'm curious to see where this thread goes. I'm still in the design/research phase but I'm trying to incorporate branding because I have no clue in which direction I want to go branding-wise.

This is my first trial with packaging. I can't find a supplier for stickers or boxes yet that won't charge me an arm and a leg, so I've made it all myself at the moment.

Your brand is going to be Mockingbird Massage? How is that going to work with soap? Or lip balm? I am not selling any products, but as a consumer, this would confuse me.

If you were to name it Mockingbird Products or some such, it would include all of your products. Massage is just too limiting.

Last edited:
Your brand is going to be Mockingbird Massage? How is that going to work with soap? Or lip balm? I am not selling any products, but as a consumer, this would confuse me.

If you were to name it Mockingbird Products or some such, it would include all of your products. Massage is just too limiting.

An interesting point. Just raising the question of what having the word "massage" on the packaging will do to the whole soap/cosmetic thing?

I will say, from the fact I am looking at it from a new soaper opinion having not attempted to start up shop...the name mockingbird massage, for me, sounds like they own a spa and put out their own products for sale outside their spa. Even though this isn't the case necessarily, it leaves the impression to me their business is in the beautifying and relaxation spa business, and they are selling spa like products.

Just my impression at first glance.

I use the name-tag material, print my name and company, the ingredients and then print with the color that matches my website www.sweetandsoapy.com I still am working on the right type of packaging.. Any suggestions? I'm having an arts and crafts event on the 15 of November, have to make about 200 bars!

Latest posts

Back