Pumpkin Salt Bars: Input Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lovin' this thread right here. :) I kinda wish I could HP a salt bar, but I definitely have to make a pumpkin soap.
You actually can, but I admit I never have hp'ed them, but knew of a gal in another forum that only made hp and she made beautiful salt bars. I do know she used lactic acid and some extra water when making her salt bars. The forum is now down and I have never seen her in any other forums. She was the best I have ever seen at hp'ing.

There is a member here who only does HP with salt bars but I can't remember who it is. If I remember correct, use full water and stir in the salt after the cook. I'm sure sodium lactate would be very helpful.

You've inspired me! Now to add pumpkin salt bars to the list...

I'm starting to think I've joined a soap making cult. I want to make them all!

I can't wait to try these bars out! The bars are starting to darken a bit which is something i anticipated so it's fine. The _pumpkin_ scent has faded somewhat and the spice portion is dominant. I've tested some small pieces :D and the scent while using and left on the skin is very pleasant. At least to me. ..
I felt obligated to jump on the Pumpkin bandwagon. Seems everything this time of year is pumpkin. (The pumpkin oreos are delicious by the way :p:p:p ) so I figured my soap might as well be too.

Update:
Soap 2 weeks later. As expected, the soap did turn a bit brown, but still looks and smells great!

20141019_073921_Burst01.jpg

20141019_073817_HDR.jpg

Poop. For some reason I can't edit my above post to rotate the pics. Sorry. Posting from my smart phone (not so smart) :roll:

Those look gorgeous. Although not pumpkiny orange, the brown is still an autumn color. I love spicy fragrances, I bet it smells yummy. Nice job!

I just love those and was trying to pick this week's recipe to try. That does it... yours are up next! I've got some shea, avocado & pumpkin oil handy so I think I'll sub out the OO with those: CO 76%, Castor 7%, Shea 5%, AO 6%, PS 6%

BTW, Thunderwgn, I think you're near Denver... Mile High Soaps is open for a few hours every other Saturday if you want to buy locally. They've started to carry more butters recently and are pretty nice folks.

Thanks again for the recipe and everyone's input on it. I'm really looking forward to this one!

I love the idea of cutting PVC you are so smart. So you didn't need to line the PVC? Did you have any trouble unmolding? How long did you let them sit in the mold berfor you unmolded?

I love the idea of cutting PVC you are so smart. So you didn't need to line the PVC? Did you have any trouble unmolding? How long did you let them sit in the mold berfor you unmolded?

I didn't line the pvc molds. I used a soup can covered with a dish towel and gently pushed each soap up from the bottom to loosen from the mold.. I'm sure if you wanted to take the time, cutting strips of freezer paper would make it even easier. I have not used the molds yet on any other cp soaps, which may be easier to unmold than salt bars.
I'm on the soap forum app on my tablet and it's not showing the time stamp from my molding/unmolding pics located in this thread. It was only a matter of a few hours if i remember correctly. If on a computer, you can probably go back and look at my pics and get an idea of how long before unmolding.

Pushing out soap with a towel-wrapped *insert appropriate tool here* is a lot more appealing if you ask me. That's what I do with my cylindrical Crystal Light mold (though I don't use that for salt bars). I'm too fidgety to work with liners.

Latest posts

Back