Need some guidance before commencing first batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerbersBlends

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have been researching soap making for quite some time now. I've finally gathered all my materials I need & would like to start making some soap soon! I've decided to avoid animal products & palm oil. I have made a 2lb log mold (7" x 3.5" x 2.5") & a 6lb log mold (20" x 3.5 x 2.5).
For my first batch I would like to use the 2lb mold and make a plain basic kinda soap.

Oil(s) Selected Amount %
Avocado Oil 69.45g 10.00%
Castor Oil 34.72g 5.00%
Coconut Oil (Virgin) 104.18g 15.00%
Olive Oil 243.09g 35.00%
Rice Bran Oil 208.36g 30.00%
Shea Butter (Unrefined) 34.72g 5.00%
5% super fatted
Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 91.547g
Grams of liquid recommended 229.19g
Yields 1015.26g Current Batch (total oil weight): 694.52g

Here is the recipe I Invented. Is it going to be enough to fill my mold? Any thoughts or opinions and advice?

Thank you for your time!!

Last edited:
I just wanted to remind you and I'm fairly certain you already know this (so don't be insulted) that you will need to leave this soap in the mold longer than those made with solid oils. It will also need a longer cure time. (I just didn't want you to be disappointed with your first attempt when it can't be unmolded in 24-36 hours)

Thanks LunaSkye! I like that yogurt container idea actually.

DoryMae,
Definitely not insulted. I kinda figured it was going to be a softer soap. Good thing you mentioned because I probably would have tried to take it out of the mold in 2 days. Now I will wait 4 days or longer? Maybe I should increase the shae a bit & decrease the water amount?

You could increase the shea to 10% but I personally wouldn't use more then that. Too much shea can actually inhibit lather.

I would wait 24 hours then check firmness, if its still softer leave it for 12 more hours then check again. Keep doing that until it feels good and firm.

Update=)

Okay FINALLY on monday (the 13th) I made my first batch of soap following my above recipe. Everything went well I made the exact amount to fill my mold. It seems firm but I am going to wait until tomorrow to unmold it. It smells fresh like soap! I got a tiny bit of soda ash not too much.
Do you think 8 weeks would be long enough to cure?

Should be great in 8 weeks, but you can cut off chunks to try at maybe 4, 5, 6 and 7 weeks too just to see the difference.

I do make one soap that is animal and palm free, I bump up the coconut to 20% and split shea and cocoa butter to make up another 15%. The rest is soft oils like olive, sunflower, avocado, etc. It is a nice bar.

Welcome to the addiction! Just wait until you use your own soap...there is no going back.

I am going to second jules92207's suggestion that you try a bar at 4 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks, 7 weeks and, 8 weeks. You need to KNOW how that soap changes the longer you cure it. Take good notes of what you think about the lather and conditioning. I used a ruler to measure the height of the lather and wrote it down.(I am a nurse, and I like things with measures to define exactly what is going on.)

Thanks for all the advice =) So I cut my bars today I had a few air bubbles in the soap so I will have to mix it more carefully & it gelled in the middle only I wasn't aiming for gelling or not gelling but I think I've decided from now on to not gel my soap. So next time I will put it in the freezer for a few hours.

I cut my bars using a hand cutter & mitre box ...it was still hard to get them even. They are kinda wonky, but I suppose that adds to the handmade appeal lol.

Time for the next batch! =) Will have to post pics when I can =) :thumbup:

I was worried I was going to have to have to wait like 6 + months to cure because I used soft oils lol but I think its going to be fine in 6-8. I cut off the edges to make my bars more rectangle (fail) they are wonky like I said haha. So I have a bunch of edge pieces to test whenever. Good idea Susie =)

Last edited:
It sounds great so far, but it is highly addictive!

Are you planning to experiment with some fragrances or colours next?

I am so addicted!!! I made my 2nd batch yesterday. I made the same recipe. I want to get familiar with the process before I experiment too much (& I like plan soap!). I hope to make some coffee soaps, & I have some french green clay & black clay I would like to make some soap with those. I would love to learn how to do some squirly soap. I think I'm going to stick with natural colorants & EO's only.
I'm glad I found this hobby it's so satisfying!
1st-batch-of-soap-488922692

Tried to post photo but not working I posted a pic on my deviant art
http://amberlynash.deviantart.com/art/1st-batch-of-soap-488922692?ga_submit_new=10%3A1413507305
1stbatchofsoap__1_of_1__by_amberlynash-d833b5w.jpg

I am so addicted!!! I made my 2nd batch yesterday. I made the same recipe. I want to get familiar with the process before I experiment too much (& I like plan soap!). I hope to make some coffee soaps, & I have some french green clay & black clay I would like to make some soap with those. I would love to learn how to do some squirly soap. I think I'm going to stick with natural colorants & EO's only.
I'm glad I found this hobby it's so satisfying!
1st-batch-of-soap-488922692

Tried to post photo but not working I posted a pic on my deviant art
http://amberlynash.deviantart.com/art/1st-batch-of-soap-488922692?ga_submit_new=10%3A1413507305
1stbatchofsoap__1_of_1__by_amberlynash-d833b5w.jpg

It looks great!

Now the wait begins :( Stupid curing time.

Thanks! It wasn't a disaster or failure so I'm happy lol! Good things come with patience hopefully :)

That's how I felt about my first batch...it was soap! Mission accomplished! :D. I'm only now delving into colors and scents. There's a lot to learn...but it's fun!

Latest posts

Back