Fragrances in soap and lotions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny_

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I make lotions, shampoos and hair conditioners and lately I want to start making soaps too. From your experience- FO in soap smells the same as in lotions and hair products? It mellows the same as it mellows in soap with time? Most of the reviews on fragrances attest to soap making and many say the product smells good after cure only- so I wonder how it'll be for lotion making.

Thanks! :)

I use the same FO's in soap, lotion, scrubs and bath bombs. Some FO does better in B&B products than in soap. Some FO's just don't survive the lye monster and can fade quickly or morph. Especially citrus and coconuts. It's trial and error when testing. So make small batches to test

I find that certain of my FOs smell different in lotions as compared to soaps. For example- I love the way my Tassie Lavender FO smells in soap as compared to in lotion or perfume spray. The lye morphs it just a tad to give it a wonderfully pleasant 'soapy' smelling tone. In my lotion or perfume, it has more of a bitter/sharp edge to it. And then there are others that smell better in my lotion or perfumes than they do in soap, and still others that smell the same no matter if they are in soap or in lotion. Go figure! :lol:

dibbles said:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, a discoloring FO will also discolor in lotion.

Yes. At least for me, anyway with my Vaniglia del Madagascar FO, but it doesn't go anywhere near as dark as it does in my soap- only beige-to light tan in my lotion compared to dark brown in my soap.

IrishLass :)

Another example along what Irish Lass was saying -- a generous % of Nature's Garden Cracklin' Birch is really nice in soap, but a low to moderate amount is so strong in lotion and scrubs that it's offensive. If I ever get brave enough to try it again, I will use a very light hand.

Another example along what Irish Lass was saying -- a generous % of Nature's Garden Cracklin' Birch is really nice in soap, but a low to moderate amount is so strong in lotion and scrubs that it's offensive. If I ever get brave enough to try it again, I will use a very light hand.
Same goes for a Redwood Cedar I have. At 7% it is still quite light in soap, at least when it comes to my opinion of fo's, but at 2% in some shampoo bars (syndets) it about did me in. I had to melt them all down double the recipe and it was perfect. My DB is the same, at 6% it is nice in soap at in lotion it is a killer. I think I ended up with 0.2% in lotion :) So no, fo is not the same in soap as other B&B products

I agree 100%. I can just about handle the CB in cp soap. But in lotion--it's very different and a little goes a long way. I have a few customers that love it and it's all they wear for scent. If I get 1 drop on me it ruins my whole day....
I love Maple Wood from SOS. In lotion there's a nice hint of sweet maple. But in CP, it's more citrusy; the maple just doesn't hold.

Back